Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wallasey Town Hall Millitary Hospital

Ianpugh

30 minutes ago, Ianpugh said:

Alwine on the right looking at the photo.

Screenshot_2018-05-08-15-59-38_resized.png

Alwine on the very left looking at the photo.

I love this one, the soldier on the left standing appears to have pulled a nurses spare shift partially over his head for a lark so that the Red Cross sits on his chest.  I think that’s why the standing nurse on the left is looking so amused.

Allan1892 I am very sorry I did not thank you for all the research that you did on Gunner 41747 John Whitton this definitely sounds like the writer in the autograph book.
I really appreciate all the interest that you and the rest of the guys have shown.

It’s because that unit sent a detachment of men to fight in the 2nd Anglo/Boer War.  Like all volunteer units that provided formed bodies the regiment applied for and was granted South Africa and dates shown as a battle honour.  Rifle regiments do not carry regimental colours and so in accordance with established tradition the newly awarded battle honour was applied to the unit’s cap badge design when the London Regiment units were formed as a discrete, consolidated body in 1908.

Edited by FROGSMILE

There are surviving service records for Rifleman 473938 (ex 7700 & 6090) Percy William Merritt, London Regiment showing him in hospital at Liverpool from October 1916.

Cheers,

Peter

6 minutes ago, PRC said:

There are surviving service records for Rifleman 473938 (ex 7700 & 6090) Percy William Merritt, London Regiment showing him in hospital at Liverpool from October 1916.

Cheers,

Peter

Brilliant Peter, seems like that’s the man.