Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pension Record Questions

tootrock

During the course of research I have come across the attached Pension Card. It is for the husband of the widow that my man (Harry Clarke) married. Can anyone comment on it generally, especially the part in red ink.

I have a related question. What happened between the man being killed and his widow receiving a pension? Did the original separation allowance continue until the award of the pension?

Martin

57073326_WThompsonPensionCard.jpg.a4297a7b10de2b4934608e21b3227e5c.jpg

Image courtesy of Fold3

Separation Allowance was paid for 6 months post death before a pension kicked in.

When she was remarried her original pension ceased with a gratuity payout. She then claimed separation allowance, which meant that the children's pension ceased. 

Craig

As she remarried another pension claimant and moved in for a window's pension when second husband died would the second pension include for the step child?

TEW

50 minutes ago, TEW said:

As she remarried another pension claimant and moved in for a window's pension when second husband died would the second pension include for the step child?

TEW

As I understand it, any children of the marriage (including step children) would be included in any second pension but it also depends on if he died of injuries at a later or was KIA.

Craig

Sorry, taking over slightly.

Another set of WFA data under 150414 Henry Clark or wife/widow Mary Agnes. Same address as this post. He died 1950.

TEW

3 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

Separation Allowance was paid for 6 months post death before a pension kicked in.

Since Walter Thompson died in September 1914, and the pension seems not to have commenced until June 1916, what happened between March 1915 and June 1916?

When she remarried in 1917, her new husband was still a serving soldier. His pension did not start until 23 November 1918.

Martin

Since Walter Thompson died in September 1914, and the pension seems not to have commenced until June 1916, what happened between March 1915 and June 1916?

The card you have is on Jan 17 or later card stock so it was, as many are, created later in the pension process. This also means that the earlier awards are not always shown or noted as they were not relevant. In this case however he was noted as missing in Sep 1914 so until he was confirmed dead then the Separation Allowance was paid as normal. In this case he was not confirmed dead for a while. The AF104-88 was only received at the pensions branch in June 1916, this was notification from the records office that the man was actually deceased. The AF104-76 was a declaration from the widow.

It looks like the information was only received at the office on 7 June 1916 and was processed in a couple of weeks. I suspect that due to them being missing and as the Separation Allowance had been ongoing anyway they took that as the run-on period already being used so no need to hang on with the processing.

Craig