Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did this soldier enlist in 4th Black Watch?

Skipman

Can anyone help me find a service record that might be relevant to the service of L/Cpl 2820 Alexander McGregor. Pretty certain he enlisted on the 12th of August, 1914. One newspaper report says he enlisted in the 4th Battalion The Black Watch and was transferred to the 1st Battalion before going overseas on the 1st of December, 1914 with that battalion. Soon after arriving in France he took ill and was on convalescent leave at home in Aberfeldy, at New Year, 1914. He went back to France some time in January, 1915 serving from then on with the 2nd Battalion, The Black Watch. He was kuilled in action with that unit on the 12th of August, 1915.

I have been trying to find a service record that might suggest he did indeed enlist with the 4th Battalion, so far without success. At enlistment, on 12th August, 1914, he was a serving police constable in Edinburgh.

I'm confused about which of the men on the roll are relevant to 2820 McGregor?

Medal Roll

Any thoughts very welcome

Mike

His numbering would seem to fit 3rd battalion as a special reservist.
https://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/2019/03/3rd-special-reserve-battalion-black.html

3/2642 joined on the 6th August 1914
3/3425 joined on the 1st September 1914

4th Battalion were TF so it's less likely he enlisted with them. Number seems too late for 4th Bn (and would be too late for the war gratuity anyway).

2367 18/08/1914
2648 23/09/1914
3238 26/10/1914

https://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/2019/09/black-watch-4th-battalion-tf-1908-1914.html

Craig

• Admin

The Black Watch medal roll is pretty good at ensuring the 3/ prefix is assigned - and anyway the number 3/2820 was taken by John Tyrell

I agree the number does not fit with 4th Bn TF number series.

But it does agree, I think, with the regular 1st/2nd Bn series, so that would be my conclusion !

Regards

Russ

1 hour ago, dundeesown said:

Not a 4th Battalion Lad.

Thank you. Is there any slight chance he enlisted in 4th and was renumbered on joining 1st?

Mike

I can't see how it would be possible for him to have been in the 4th if he did not enlist under Territorial Force terms of service. Surely, the privates of the 4th were TF men?

9 hours ago, Keith_history_buff said:

I can't see how it would be possible for him to have been in the 4th if he did not enlist under Territorial Force terms of service. Surely, the privates of the 4th were TF men?

Thanks Keith. It looks like you're correct. The newspaper report is quite specific that he enlisted in the 4th, though they have been known to be wrong. He was a police officer. I just wondered if there was any slight possibility it was correct, but, from TF to regular, probably not.

Mike