Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

FOLD3/Ancestry Indexing of WFA Pension Cards - What's Happening?

RussT

• Admin

I think we can all agree what a great resource the WFA Pension Cards are turning out to be - and there is still plenty to learn about them.

But what have FOLD3/Ancestry been doing to the Indexing?

I keep coming across cards that are indexed against certain Regiments/Corps that bear no resemblance whatsoever to the actual Regiment/Corps to which the man belonged. It's not just a case of simple transcription errors  - take this example below.

Daniel Moore - 397 & 308149, RGA.

The search for him returns the following 2 cards - one showing his Regiment as being "RASC, R I Rifles, R Innis Fus, R Irish Fus."

The card itself is also shown here, which is reasonably clear in showing he served with the RGA. There is nothing on this card (or his other one) that could be remotely misinterpreted as suggesting he was in the multitude of different Regiments/Corps that have been indexed against his name.

I am finding nearly all the cards I am interested in similarly very poorly indexed. It's almost as if someone has gone out of their way and has taken extreme steps to get the indexing so completely and utterly wrong.

Any views?

Regards

Russ

WFA Card Daniel Moore - Search.JPG

WFA Card Daniel Moore - Card.JPG

Perhaps there is some sort of pull down selection menu on the transcription software - you select a group of regiments/corps and then narrow down. So you pick the "R" Regiments as step 1 and then the correct one of those as step 2? And step 2 hasn't been done?

Steve.