Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What German unit and place?

stevenbecker

Mates,

I notice this man who is shown in the Vermisstenliste 1. Weltkrieg and Verlustlisten 1. Weltkrieg;

Stopinski Georg    Gefr    Maschinengewehr-Abteilung 2 Türkei    1916-17    (1892 at Berlin KIA 24-2-17) bisher vermitzt MIA gemeldet gefallen shown vermisst Ort 24-2-17 at Kuttei .

I  did think the unit maybe one of the Companies in the Maschinengewehr-Abteilung der Heersgruppe F - MGK 601-608, but I am not sure?

The place where he was lost also had me?

Kuttei

Was this in Palestine or Mesopotamia or some other place in Turkey?

I tried a number of towns in Google maps, but it maybe renamed by now?

Any ideas would help?

Cheers

S.B

Which places did you try in Google? I came up with Khotai, Iran; Kotayk, Armenia; Khatai, Azerbaijan; Kötek, Turkey; Kutaisi, Georgia; Qudaid, Saudi Arabia; Kubaida, Kuwait; Kubaysah, Iraq; Qadah, Oman...

Kutais (Kutaisi) in Georgia is mentioned in this article from April 1918: "Das türkische Hauptquartier meldet: ...An der Küste sind unsere Truppen über Ozurgeti hinaus im Vormarsch gegen die Eisenbahnlinie Kutais-Batum." (The Turkish headquarters reports: ...On the coast, our troops are advancing beyond Ozurgeti towards the Kutais-Batum railway line.)

Sorry for cluttering up the thread, I can't seem to edit my previous post.

Kut-el-Amara might be a candidate? From Australian news in January 1917: "It is officially announced that the British made progress eastward and westward of Kut-el-Amara, and except for a small area north-eastward of Kut-al Amara, the whole right bank eastward of the Shatt-el-Hai has been cleared of the enemy."

From February 1917, also reported in Australia: "It was announced In the House of Commons today that our forces under General Maude have captured Kut-el-Amara. We took prisoners 1730 in two days. The whole of the enemy's positions from Sanna i-Yat to Kut-el Amara have now been secured."

Kut-el could easily be misread as Kut-ei...in fact the OCR scanner for that articles linked above did so, which is how I found them.

Edited by knittinganddeath

Mates,

Thank you for the replys,

Knitt

Yes I looked at a number of these, but could not agree either, but the Mespot or Caucas was the best idea.

Charlie 

Mate what can I say, One of the MG group sent to Iraq during 1916, I was short of any of these men sent to support the fighting around Kut with the Big Guy (Goltz) 

Thanks 

S.B