Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Absented himself

mchance

Hello

One of my ancestors left the army on 3rd January 1916. The cause was given as "Absented himself". Does anyone know what that means and what the implications were. I wouldn't have thought anyone could choose to leave the army at any time. let alone in the middle of a war. Prior to this he also was temporarily released for munitions work although was asked to rejoin his regiment as his work was unsatisfactory! Were soldiers released for munitions work on a regular basis or is this unusual? Any help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Michael Chance

Jesse Chance 2 Army Service Records 5.jpg

Edited by mchance
wrong image uploaded

Hi,

It looks to be a portion of a document sent by OIC KRR Records, Winchester to OIC RAF Records Blandford in 1920 providing details of a man who has presumably just enlisted in RAF and was suspected or had claimed to have previously served in the KRR.

The descriptive and personal details were provided to allow comparison with the description and personal details of the man on enlistment at his new unit.

The word “absented” is shorthand for absented himself without leave.

It was not unusual during wartime for a man to absent himself from one unit only to speedily re enlist in a new unit usually under an assumed name. Often the man would subsequently disclose his true identity and the Army would make enquiries to confirm his admission to “falsely enlisting”. It was only in rare cases in war time that any sanction would be applied - the man usually “soldiered on” in his new unit. Matters would be treated differently in peacetime.

You may find his RAF record on FMP site?

In respect of his release for Munitions Work - it was not an unusual occurrence in the early years of the war for men to be returned to Munitions work. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_Crisis_of_1915#

Steve

Edited by tullybrone

Hi Steve

Thank you so much for explaining things. Absolutely fascinating. I've looked on FMP but he must have joined the RAF under a completely different name and it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. He's not listed on the Absent Voters List in 1918 (although his brother is) and by 1922 he was living back home. The rest of his army papers show his attestation and medical records and a series of letters between the munitions company and his regiment. Thanks also for the link to the article on the 1915 shell crisis. That explains things perfectly. He must have been pretty bad at it to be sent back to his regiment! The family certainly wanted to "do their bit". One of his brothers was discharged in 1919 as P.U. which I believe means 'Permanently Unfit', though his army documents haven't survived, and another brother joined the South Staffordshires, then the Royal Warwickshires, then found his way (I think as a stowaway) to Canada where he joined the C.E.F. In each case he was discharged for misconduct!

Thanks again for your reply. Greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Michael

9 hours ago, mchance said:

Hi Steve

Thank you so much for explaining things. Absolutely fascinating. I've looked on FMP but he must have joined the RAF under a completely different name and it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. He's not listed on the Absent Voters List in 1918 (although his brother is) and by 1922 he was living back home. The rest of his army papers show his attestation and medical records and a series of letters between the munitions company and his regiment. Thanks also for the link to the article on the 1915 shell crisis. That explains things perfectly. He must have been pretty bad at it to be sent back to his regiment! The family certainly wanted to "do their bit". One of his brothers was discharged in 1919 as P.U. which I believe means 'Permanently Unfit', though his army documents haven't survived, and another brother joined the South Staffordshires, then the Royal Warwickshires, then found his way (I think as a stowaway) to Canada where he joined the C.E.F. In each case he was discharged for misconduct!

Thanks again for your reply. Greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Michael

You’re welcome. You may not be aware that all CEF service records are available online via this link - 

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/search.aspx

You ought to be able to find your relatives service record there if you haven’t obtained it already.

Steve

Hi Steve

Many thanks for your reply and for the link. In fact I had discovered his C.E.F. records and they make very interesting reading. He was court martialled twice, the second time resulting in a sentence of two years' imprisonment which was commuted to two years' detention after a ruling from the Home Office. However he seems to have been discharged from the army and sent back to England before the two years was up.

Kind regards

Michael