Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. Frederick Wrightson - Royal Marines Medical Unit

Dominion

Not a unit I've ever looked into and was wondering if someone could shed some light on this.

"DEAL 3770-S- Pte. F. Wrightson R.M."

I found his attestation documents, but no reference to the "DEAL" reference. I wonder if this was engraved at a later timepoint.

It appears he was hospitalised, but I can't make out what for, while serving with the 2nd Field Ambulance. 

I see the page is shared with another soldier but in the "Wounds and Hurts, Special Services, Etc., Etc." section it mentions "(1) 27-10-17 Passchendaele, Belgium. Shell wound left leg ... " would the (1) denote the first soldier records on the page - and would this link with him being "Inv to UK"?

Any more information would be greatly appreciated

S2_GBM_MH106_MH106-1452_0013.jpg

GBM_ADM159_210_0_0113.jpg

5 hours ago, Dominion said:

I found his attestation documents, but no reference to the "DEAL" reference

His attestation (and other papers, including his RND Record Card) are held in the archive of the Fleet Air Arm Museum (currently Covid-closed). What you have posted is not his attestation but his ADM 159 ledger record. The FAAM records should clear up medical/wounds/hurts history, including his July 1916 visit to No.4 Sationary Hospital in France (for Dental Caries).

I believe the ADM 159 entry for wounding at Passchendaele in October 1917 does, as you suggest, refer to WRIGHTSON. and links to his invaliding to UK the following month.

All men of the RMMU were administered from the RMLI Depot Deal, their full Register Numbers being in the series Deal/3000(S) to Deal/4400(S).

Edited by horatio2

His visit to No 4 Stationary Hospital for dental problems is confirmed by the RND records of the other two RND ratings who went with him, ROONEY and WALL. 

It would seem that all threee went to hospital on 4 July, ROONEY being discharged to his battalion on 12 July and WALL and WRIGHTSON being discharged to the Base Depot on 7 July. The records of ROONEY and WALL locate that hospital was at ARQUES on July 1916. The Long Long Trail, however, places it at St Omer :-

No 4 Stationary St. Omer until Arques May 18 - Nov 18; Longuenesse Dec 18 onward

See this topic -   

Edited by horatio2