Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AIF mystery uniform stripes on lower sleeve?

tamiwell

Hello,

I'm trying to find any clue I possibly can to determine who a man is in a photograph I have with another (already identified) soldier.  This man is sitting beside the other, and I noticed he had these stripes - which looked like sergeants stripes?? - but they were on his lower sleeve near his wrist.....

Can anyone tell me if he was a Sergeant then or if the stripes meant something else?  They may have both played in a Brass Band together, although that may not be relevant at all,

Thank you : )

Tam 

mystery soldier uniform.jpg

• tamiwell changed the title to AIF mystery uniform stripes on lower sleeve?

Hi Tam,

These were his overseas service chevrons, one for each year of service including a red one if he'd left Australian in 1914.  More detail at the AWM site, which will take you through overseas service, wound stripes, good conduct, rank and colour patches.  My late aunt proudly kept her father's photograph with original chevrons and colour patch and thanks to my cousin's generosity, I now have it.

Your mystery man was awarded his first chevron as he left Australia and earned two more overseas.  Good luck finding him!

image.png.af02f61779c0e0622749dff398a516f9.png

Hi Tam,

Follow the link in the previous thread to see the difference between chevrons used for rank and those signifying overseas service.  Your man was not an NCO and my grandfather was a Sapper..

image.png.386032a89721bcd9a3d18a5f484d1a82.png

no he is not a NCO  no stripes/crowns on upper arm of uniform

• 2 weeks later...