Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visiting World War 1 in 2022?

Wesley Wright

I have organised many annual trips to battlefields when we where in EU--recently saw newspapers stating EU officials were removing food from UK drivers who had sandwiches with them--we usually brought picnic  foods such as corn beef , tuna etc with us and the  other requirements were purchased fresh in supermarkets. Could anyone help with what  we will require in future.

WESLEY WRIGHT

• Admin

I believe  it's no meat or dairy to be taken in. 

These are the rules from the EU regarding non EU foods:

Personal goods containing meat, milk or their products brought into the EU continue to present a real threat to animal health throughout the Union. It is known, for example, that dangerous pathogens that cause animal diseases such as Foot and Mouth Disease and classical swine fever can reside in meat, milk or their products. Therefore, pathogens could be introduced into the EU if personal goods containing meat, milk or their products are sent by post or carried in the baggage of travellers arriving from countries outside the EU, where such pathogens may be circulating.

for UK travellers, these rules now unfortunately apply.

4 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

I believe  it's no meat or dairy to be taken in. 

So Bully Beef is off the menu.........

British%2BWW1%2BSoldiers%2BEating.jpg

From personal experience, tinned tuna is available in France. Not so sure about corned beef, but tinned pate is probably nicer when smeared on a baguette. Hell: live life on the edge and forego the corned beef and tuna. Let your hair down.

14 hours ago, depaor01 said:

for UK travellers, these rules now unfortunately apply.

Back in 2018 I spent the summer flying back and forth between Southampton and Belfast. When we landed at George Best Airport there was always an announcement that if anyone had meat or diary products, these had to be declared to protect the NI farming industry. I assumed these would have been confiscated, other wise no point declaring them.

I also seem to recall similar announcements on Eurostar in 2017 & 2018.

Hasn't there always been rules...? 

Maybe these rules came in after the foot and mouth outbreak in the early 2000s?

It will be interesting what you can bring back into England. 

as I planned to go out last year and was asked to visit a supermarket to bring a couple of items of a brand, which you can’t get here 

Will

I wouldn't worry about it now anyway.

The rules may or may not be different by then, as will the attitude and enforcement of border officials.

There is no doubt that there is a lot of point scoring being attempted at the moment, which makes all involved look petty and small minded.

Things will have settled down by 2022, countries really should be more worried about solving the pandemic rather than gloating over bottles of confiscated piri-piri sauce.

I’m not worried about it, 

it really does begs the question, if the dutch were worried about a ham sandwich coming into there country, now that England has left the EU. 

why were they not worried before

it dosnt matter what why or why not they were worried before, its the law NOW.

Look at the immigration programmes on tv for Australia, they have similar laws in place. How come you can eat half a chicken burger in the airport in China but are fined if you bring the rest into the country, what about whats in the digestive system.

Rejoin the European Community in a couple of years and they would relax the laws again, you voted for Brexit. Funny how when you say this to people they either say they didnt or they did , then complain that their allowances are cut in duty free. 

Go  back to the 1970's, if you owned a BSA C15 one day  you could ride it without passing a test, the next day you were limited to 125cc so too big, The army let their youngsters ride Armstrong  250 despatch bikes then over night they were limited to 125's , so had to go and buy new bikes. the Japanese 125's were not suitable or sturdy enough for off road use. By then Armstrong had sold out to CanAm so had to go begging to the Canadians to sell them a batch. 

I always try and come back with a few jars of this...love it.

3arg.JPG

Most of my larder is made up of French tins and jars, honey from Boismont and a few locally cured meats, cheeses and a few cases of Chiti. There is the worry of food standards dropping in the UK not to mention the scoring of points...

On 25/01/2021 at 15:11, Steven Broomfield said:

From personal experience, tinned tuna is available in France. Not so sure about corned beef, but tinned pate is probably nicer when smeared on a baguette. Hell: live life on the edge and forego the corned beef and tuna. Let your hair down.

Corned beef is in every supermarket I know of.

22 hours ago, chaz said:

it dosnt matter what why or why not they were worried before, its the law NOW.

Look at the immigration programmes on tv for Australia, they have similar laws in place. How come you can eat half a chicken burger in the airport in China but are fined if you bring the rest into the country, what about whats in the digestive system.

Rejoin the European Community in a couple of years and they would relax the laws again, you voted for Brexit. Funny how when you say this to people they either say they didnt or they did , then complain that their allowances are cut in duty free. 

Cheer, cheer.

22 hours ago, chaz said:

Funny how when you say this to people they either say they didnt or they did , then complain that their allowances are cut in duty free. 

The cut in duty free allowances was not written about on the side of a red bus.

Would have needed to be a ruddy great big bus if all the consequences (good or ill) of Brexit were to be listed on it.

2 hours ago, Marco said:

You should not believe the side of a red bus

What...are you saying my tea isn't best value?

rtwa.JPG