Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Northamptonshire Regiment

maudson

Hi

I had finished my books on the Ringstead WW1 men when I found two transcriptions of British Army Service Records on the Find My Past website. One described a 22-year-old (born 1896) Thomas Allen in the 3rd Battalion of the Northamptonshire Regiment with Service Number 28410. His place of residence was shown as Ringstead in Northamptonshire. The other transcription was for Thomas Allen, also residing in Ringstead but with no birth year. He was in the King’s Own (Royal Lancaster) Regiment with Service Number 51115.

Looking again through the military records on Ancestry I found a Medal Index Card for Thomas but although the number for the Royal Lancs was 5115, it was 3744 for the Northamptonshires. I then found his casualty form (on Fold3) which showed he had sustained a gunshot wound to his left shoulder with the Royal Lancaster Regiment. It gave two addresses. One, later crossed out, was 25 Lincoln Street, Kingsthorpe and a second address at 78 Clarke Road, both in Northampton. There is also on Ancestry in the Pension Ledgers and Index Cards for Other Ranks who Survived a card for Thos. Allen in the R. Lancs. It has four numbers listed: 51115,1660,3744 and 28410.   I know that Thomas Allen with number 1660 came from Desborough and was killed in the war.   

With this information I found the family in Kingsthorpe. His older brother, James Bryant Allen had been killed in 1917 with the 1/4th Northamptonshires in Palestine/Egypt. He had been in the Territorials with number 2447. He later was embodied with number 200424.

My thought is that Thomas was first in the Territorials (3744) was embodied into the Northamptonshires 3rd Battalion (28410). At some point he was transferred to the Kings (Royal Lancashire) Regiment (51115). I think there may be some errors or lack of clarity in the records and transcriptions. Does this make sense? Can anyone clarify or put any dates to any of this? And has anyone seen the originals for the FMP transcriptions to see if Ringstead is a mistranscription for Kingsthorpe?

As always I am grateful for any help and realise that it is a very difficult

ask.   

David                                                                                                                

In FMP he has

image.png.26a640ddf078031b73ab8572a844a5d1.png

on the statement of disability and

image.png.c18bb4a78c7ec3309fed6da463e5e319.png

on the previous page of his papers. 

You decide!!

Both partial images courtesy of Find of Past

George

Many thanks George.

I think that it is clearly Kingsthorpe even though the K looks like an R. I can leave his story to someone else.

David

There is a Lincoln St in Kingsthorpe, look like Victorian Terraces on Googlestreetview

Thanks Coldstreamer but I have decided that he was not a Ringstead man so I should leave him for someone else to research further. I am just trying to tie up all the loose ends so that I feel that I have done the best that I could.

David