Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fred Dempster number 3244364

Stevend

Hello I am researching my partner's  grandfather and she gave me his army number  I think its maybe 2and war or after but any help to point me in the right direction is greatly appreciated. 

Steven 

hi 

looks rather long for a ww1 number

could be a number he was issued after serving in ww1 (to keep this relevant)

have you tried to find a dob to narrow down when he might have served?

Edited by Coldstreamer

Assuming that seven digit number is correct then almost certainly a post-Great War period of service.

In 1920 the Army finally went over to issuing a unique service number that would stay with a man throughout his career regardless of any subsequent transfers. Number blocks were issued to each Regiment and Corps.

Service number 3244364 was part of the block issued to the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles). The block ran from 3233001 to 3299000.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/new-british-army-numbers-issued-in-1920/

By that stage the Army had shrunk back to peacetime size, (although with a very different mix to pre-August 1914). The Cameronians would have been back to probably no more than 8 Battalions, 4 of them Territorial Force. Other than the first two Regular Army Battalions, it is very unlikely the others were anywhere near full strength, and so the maths would suggest they didn't get anywhere near 3244364 in the service numbers issued for those currently serving - instead it was issued to a subsequent recruit sometime in the twenties or thirties.

However, if he did join after 1920 that means his records should be held by the Ministry of Defence and a copy can be obtained for a fee. Process is set out here:-

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

Hope that helps,

Peter

Thanks  I gave got his dog tags and the number is correct I'm thinking  the 1930's onwards but I will try and get his service papers she gas also his metal shoulder flashes and his tam o Shatner. 

• Admin

On that basis, it falls outside the remit of this Forum so I will now lock this thread

Good luck with your research into Fred

Regards

Russ

• RussT locked this topic