The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British Special Operations Submarine Division

militaryhistorywriter

Thanks for all the individuals who answered the questions I posted. My last question is what was the British Special Operations Submarine Division?

This is going to set researches scrambling on here. I’ve never heard of such a division. Possibly in WW2 it may have been a reference to the newly formed Special Boat Service units operating from submarines. But of course there was no such beast in WW1. I’m sure somebody will come up with an answer but Google is no help here and nothing in NA.

I’ve also never seen such a descriptive term being used, but if an entity like this ever existed then I dare say it would have had something to do with the use of RN submarines in the ASW role. It is believed that some twenty U-boats were sunk by submarine launched torpedoes during the war.

Generally speaking, the success rate of British/Allied subs in hunting and sinking U-boats (particularly in the Baltic and Russian Arctic/White Sea waters) wasn’t that great in terms of actual numbers, however the knowledge that enemy submarines were out there looking to surprise any U-boats caught on the surface at least had some deterrence value. 

MB

Edited by KizmeRD