The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Ivor Lee: Is he still contactable ?

MERLINV12

I notice that Ivor Lee has not visited the site since 2014, can anybody tell me if he is still contactable. I sent a PM, but have had no reply.

I need some help with a Labour Corps matter, and by reputation he is the expert on the subject.

Hopefully he is still with us ?

TIA

As his book is reasonably recent, you could try-nicely- a letter or e-mail to his publishers-asking them to forward on a query to him. Publishers are The History Press in Cheltenham- a continuation,of sorts, of the old Alan Sutton.

Edited by Guest

Just had a reply from The History Press, "I'm afraid we do not have any contact details for Ivor, so are unable to pass a message onto him for you". :rolleyes:

So, anybody got any other suggestions on how to contact him ??

Hi I contacted Ivor some little time ago -  I contacted him through "the Pioneer " The website of the corps

http://www.royalpioneercorps.co.uk/rpc/history_main1.htm

Use the contact page! btw

GH

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, especially Gunner Hall,  I sent a message via the Pioneer website which he suggested, and got a very prompt and comprehensive reply from John Starling (Ivor's co-author).

Not answered all the questions, but has been very useful, and given some good leads.

Back to Ivor, John tells me. "I am afraid Ivor Lee gave up answering correspondence due to excessive amounts of abuse from some people he was trying to help".  That is presumably why he hasn't been on here since 2014, and doesn't respond to PM's

As per usual, a minority spoiling it for the majority :(

Edited by MERLINV12

Pleased to help   Good luck with the search. Ivor (and his book) helped with my search on my grandfather's service I have a photo of him as a private in the DLI I and another, later one of him badged as  ASC . He didn't serve overseas so no medal cards. I found  him in the absent voters list as Labour Corps, with a number.   Initially, his number seemed to be e been allocated as blocks to an agricultural labour co based in Shropshire and another  on the Wirral.  

However i used ancestry to search for men in the Labour Corps with similar numbers.  i found about one hundred,  Some had surviving attestation papers.  Now I know he served (in some still unknown position) In the number 1  Northern General Hospital in Newcastle upon Tyne. He seems to have gone straight from the Fenham DLI  depot to the hospital.

Edited by Gunner Hall

On 21/01/2021 at 15:55, MERLINV12 said:

Back to Ivor, John tells me. "I am afraid Ivor Lee gave up answering correspondence due to excessive amounts of abuse from some people he was trying to help".  That is presumably why he hasn't been on here since 2014, and doesn't respond to PM's

Very sorry to hear that

I always found Ivor to be most helpful whenever he could

A great shame indeed