The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Ernest Vincent Peacock. 1176 - 470666. Durham Field Coy R.E. - Help with pal please.

GWF1967

Hi,

I bought this collection of three postcards, featuring Ernest Vincent (listed as Victor) Peacock.  C.1911 has him living with his parents, brother and sister at 70 Surtees St. Darlington.

Ernest served with 527 (Durham) Field Coy, as Spr. 1176 - 470666.  He went to France 18/9/1915 and was discharged 21/5/1919.

Photo 1 shows Ernest with two other men, one in uniform;  the cap badge for his pal doesn't look to be R.E.

Attached below is the back of the first photograph. It features the number 176525 and service details for "Sapper E. King", along with service details. - I can find no records for this man. 

FMP has listings for 6 men with this number, none of the regiments seem to fit the badge. Ancestry also list 6 men serving with this number; allowing for duplicates between the sites gives 8 men.  Only two of these 8 served with the R.E. - Samuel Wood (Service Record. FMP), and Samuel Cole (Medal Card + Roll. Ancestry).  National Archives show only an MIC for Cole.

The card also has the name "Calvert" with an address of - 25 Greenbank Road (North);

North East War Memorial Project lists two men living at this address - Gunner Ernest Calvert (72416) - 95th Batt. R.F.A,  still serving when the rolls were produced,  and Fitter William Calvert (72417) - 126th Batt. R.F.A.  discharged with a S.W.B. on 31/1/1919.  I assume William Calvert to be the man in civies in the middle.

Neither Peacock's nor Calvert's service fits with the details recorded on the card. 

To confuse matters more, the second photograph, showing  E.V. Peacock seated, is addressed to "Mrs E. King, 70 Surtees St. Darlington, Co. Durham". It was not posted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peacock (3).jpg

Peacock (2).jpg

E.V.Peacock (2).jpg

Ernest V. Peacock.jpg

Edited by GWF1967

• GWF1967 changed the title to Ernest Vincent Peacock. 1176 - 470666. Durham Field Coy R.E. - Help with pal please.

I think I've answered my own question.  I think my man's number has been wrongly recorded, and that he is in fact - Spr. Edwin King. 176521.

4 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Photo 1 shows Ernest with two other men, one in uniform;  the cap badge for his pal doesn't look to be R.E.

Attached below is the back of the first photograph. It features the number 176525 and service details for "Sapper E. King", along with service details. - I can find no records for this man. 

Both cap badges look like RE to me - I think the Corporal's has 'flared' in the photo.

4 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

I think I've answered my own question.  I think my man's number has been wrongly recorded, and that he is in fact - Spr. Edwin King. 176521.

Spr. Edwin KING 176521, R.E., has several pension cards at WFA/Fold3 - Discharged: 13.3.1919 [also marked Trans. 13/3/1919, Z/RE/63856 on two records - is this a possible alternative Regtl. No. when transferring to Z Reserve? Or another claim reference??] - Address: 81 Chandros St., Darlington - a 1920 claim card was marked Rejected - Died: 14-2-1924 - Widow: Mary Alice KING continued to live at same address, and had a 1924 Widow's claim and may perhaps have received a pension [but no details of any payments are available on the cards]

:-) M

2 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Both cap badges look like RE to me - I think the Corporal's has 'flared' in the photo.

I came to the same conclusion after starting at alternatives for rather too long. 

2 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Spr. Edwin KING 176521, R.E., has several pension cards at WFA/Fold3 - Discharged: 13.3.1919 [also marked Trans. 13/3/1919, Z/RE/63856 on two records - is this a possible alternative Regtl. No. when transferring to Z Reserve? Or another claim reference??] - Address: 81 Chandros St., Darlington - a 1920 claim card was marked Rejected - Died: 14-2-1924 - Widow: Mary Alice KING continued to live at same address, and had a 1924 Widow's claim and may perhaps have received a pension [but no details of any payments are available on the cards]

:-) M

Many thanks for your help Matlock.