Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grenadier Guards Sgt William Davies 14309

pride of our alley

Any information regarding Sergeant William Davies..Grenadier Guards 14039..I know that he was in the 2nd Battalion in 1914 and at some point was wounded..I really am interested to know what he was doing specifically in 1918..Was he attached to another Battalion?

Thankyou in advance..Beverley

14309 I think

George

Courtesy of FWR

First Name:
W
Surname:
Davies
Incident Details:
War Office Daily List No. 5504
Report Date:
28/02/1918
Service Number:
Casualty Listed As:
Prisoner of war in Germany, arrived in Holland for internment.

George

Also FWR

First Name:
W
Surname:
Davies
Report Date:
21/10/1914
Information:
Listed as "Prisoner of War" on the Casualty List issued by the War Office from the 21st October 1914.
Sergeant
Service Number:
First Name:
W
Surname:
Davies
Incident Details:
War Office Daily List No.5746
Report Date:
12/12/1918
Sergeant
Service Number:
Casualty Listed As:
Released Prisoner of War from Germany, arrived in England

Edited by George Rayner

3 minutes ago, George Rayner said:
Also FWR

First Name:
W
Surname:
Davies
Report Date:
21/10/1914
Information:
Listed as "Prisoner of War" on the Casualty List issued by the War Office from the 21st October 1914.
Sergeant
Service Number:
First Name:
W
Surname:
Davies
Incident Details:
War Office Daily List No.5746
Report Date:
12/12/1918
Sergeant
Service Number:
Casualty Listed As:
Released Prisoner of War from Germany, arrived in England

Thankyou for your speedy reply George..apologies for not quite understanding but surely he wasnt a prisoner of war for 4 years?

Apparently so from those records. People who are cleverer than me can possibly find details of it in Red Cross records or family enquiries-I can't get to grips with searches for that!

George

2 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

Apparently so from those records. People who are cleverer than me can possibly find details of it in Red Cross records or family enquiries-I can't get to grips with searches for that!

George

Many thanks George..much appreciated..x

All the best..Bev

Bev may be best to correct his number in the title

George

14 hours ago, pride of our alley said:

Many thanks George..much appreciated..x

All the best..Bev

B. 8/4/1891 -  Bollington. 

Captured. 11/9/1914 at Viviers. 

Sgt. D’ Coy. - POW in Von Doberitz. Camp. 2/12/1915

NoK. Mrs Davies. 17 Charles St. Windsor. 

Arrived UK. 18/11/1918. 

Edited by GWF1967

War Diary shows two batches of soldiers missing in action,122 on 1 Sep and 77 on 14 Sep 1914. The unit was under great pressure from attack in the period to early October with the under fire ordeal beginning shortly after arrival in zone on 23 August. The unit sailed from Southampton on 12 August 1914 on s.s.CAWDOR CASTLE,arriving in LE HAVRE on 13th.

I would say that there is a distinct chance that,due to lack of casualty data for the period 2 to 11th September,your subject may well have been at large from the missing of 1 September and only captured, date and place given by GWF1967,on 11 September,when the battalion was billeted at MONNES and not in action.

The Diary is downloadable from the National Archives Discovery database for free when you sign in there. Reference WO95/1342/1.

I see that he returned to the UK on s.s.WILLOCHRA on 18  November 1918.

Edited by sotonmate

2 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Sgt. D’ Coy. 4th Battalion - POW in Von Doberitz. Camp. 

Arrived UK. 18/11/1918. 

Many thanks for the information..xx

1 hour ago, sotonmate said:

War Diary shows two batches of soldiers missing in action,122 on 1 Sep and 77 on 14 Sep 1914. The unit was under great pressure from attack in the period to early October with the under fire ordeal beginning shortly after arrival in zone on 23 August. The unit sailed from Southampton on 12 August 1914 on s.s.CAWDOR CASTLE,arriving in LE HAVRE on 13th.

I would say that there is a distinct chance that,due to lack of casualty data for the period 2 to 11th September,your subject may well have been at large from the missing of 1 September and only captured, date and place given by GWF1967,on 11 September,when the battalion was billeted at MONNES and not in action.

The Diary is downloadable from the National Archives Discovery database for free when you sign in there. Reference WO95/1342/1.

Many thanks for the information..much obliged..Bev..x

There is a card for him on the International Committee of the Red Cross site but it only deals with his repatriation.

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/763784/3/2/

The level of infomation that came through on the 1914 reports from the German side was frequently woeful - so there may be more buried away in their impenetrable labyrinth but it will be a needle in a haystack to find it.

Paul Nixon has details of him on his list of men entitled to receive the Princess Mary Christmas box from 1914 but had to wait until after they were released in order to receive it.  Unfortunately you have to purchase the whole list of all PoWs at £25, but it a transcription of an official list sent to Buckingham Palace, and is said to include date of capture.

https://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/p/1914-pows.html

And his Army Service numbers site shows that service number 14309 would have been issued between the 2nd February 1909 (14220) and the 17th February 1910 (14648).

https://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/2009/01/grenadier-guards.html

Hope that helps,

Peter

He might have carried on serving after the war, as he was a regular soldier.  It’s surprising how many did.  Those that didn’t tended to be men broken down physically and or mentally by their lengthy period as POWs.  If he did continue it’s quite likely that his service record might survive.  Many Guards records did anyway as they were not stored with the other regiments in the London Docks warehouse bombed in 1941.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, PRC said:

There is a card for him on the International Committee of the Red Cross site but it only deals with his repatriation.

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/763784/3/2/

The level of infomation that came through on the 1914 reports from the German side was frequently woeful - so there may be more buried away in their impenetrable labyrinth but it will be a needle in a haystack to find it.

Paul Nixon has details of him on his list of men entitled to receive the Princess Mary Christmas box from 1914 but had to wait until after they were released in order to receive it.  Unfortunately you have to purchase the whole list of all PoWs at £25, but it a transcription of an official list sent to Buckingham Palace, and is said to include date of capture.

https://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/p/1914-pows.html

And his Army Service numbers site shows that service number 14309 would have been issued between the 2nd February 1909 (14220) and the 17th February 1910 (14648).

https://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/2009/01/grenadier-guards.html

Hope that helps,

Peter

Very grateful to you..I am overwhelmed once again by the help received on this wonderful site..Bev..x

20 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

He might have carried on serving after the war, as he was a regular soldier.  It’s surprising how many did.  Those that didn’t tended to be men broken down physically and or mentally by their lengthy period as POWs.  If he did continue it’s quite likely that his service record might survive.  Many Guards records did anyway as they were not stored with the other regiments in had London Docks warehouse bombed in 1941.

Thankyou for this and for the bit of information regarding the records..all the best..Bev

3 hours ago, George Rayner said:

Bev may be best to correct his number in the title

George

Thanks George..I would if I knew how?!

3 hours ago, sotonmate said:

Thankyou for your reply..very much appreciated..all the best..Bev

6 hours ago, pride of our alley said:

Thankyou for this and for the bit of information regarding the records..all the best..Bev

Until recently the Guards military record sheets were stored in regimental archives at their individual HQs, but not long ago the decision was taken to send them to properly controlled atmospheric storage at the Army Personnel Centre, Kentigern House, Glasgow, Scotland. https://www.vsc.co.uk/downloads/military-personnel-department-contact.pdf

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Michelle Young changed the title to Grenadier Guards Sgt William Davies 14309
  • Admin
8 hours ago, pride of our alley said:

Title edited

12 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Sgt. D’ Coy. 4th Battalion - POW in Von Doberitz. Camp. 

Arrived UK. 18/11/1918. 

Apologies if I’ve missed something up thread but are you sure he was in 4th CG at the time he was taken POW?

They weren’t in France during 1914. They were the recently formed Reserve Battalion in England.

Steve

Edited by tullybrone

2 hours ago, tullybrone said:

Apologies if I’ve missed something up thread but are you sure he was in 4th CG at the time he was taken POW?

They weren’t in France during 1914. They were the recently formed Reserve Battalion in England.

Steve

Mea Culpa - His Red Cross record lists 4th Battalion, this it seems was the unit he was discharged from. I’ve edited my original post. 

8 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Until recently the Guards military record sheets were stored in regimental archives at their individual HQs, but not long ago the decision was taken to send them to properly controlled atmospheric storage at the Army Personnel Centre, Kentigern House, Glasgow, Scotland. https://www.vsc.co.uk/downloads/military-personnel-department-contact.pdf

Thankyou!..x

6 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Title edited

Thankyou..xx