Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Incomplete MIC

tootrock

10 minutes ago, TEW said:

HRC born Epping, Essex a DOB of Jan 1889, baptised 20/2/1889, Father Thomas Oswald, Mother Ellen.

Thus it would appear - GRO =

Name: Mother's Maiden Surname: 
CLARKE, HENRY  RICHARD      HAMPTON  
GRO Reference: 1889  M Quarter in EPPING  Volume 04A  Page 316

:-) M

Marriage of Harry Clarke to Mary Agnes Thompson December 1917 in Salford. Her address 93 Tatton St. His father = Thomas.

20210119_121918.jpg.64442d7afba247e5e2b30c07d4b0d2d4.jpg

Image courtesy of ancestry 

TEW

Breaking News!

Just found their wedding.

St Ignatius, Salford, 22 December 1917, Harry Clarke, father William Clark, married Mary Agnes Thompson, who lived at 93 Tatton Street.

Only query is his age given as 30.

Martin

Snap

TEW

In 1911 Mary Agnes Thompson is in Regent Square, Salford, just over from Tatton St. With husband William etc. and had been married 3 years. Confirmed by GRO marriage 4th Quarter 1908 8d/173. Maiden name Hutter.

She's noted as a widow when married to Harry, her deceased father = William Hutter.

First husband died either 1912 or 1913. They had had one child by 1911 so Harry had a step-son.

Did you have anything on him being home in Dec 1917 or what the Salford connection was?

TEW

I missed an obvious question.

He was discharged from the Army in Nov 1918.

Why is he living in Rudman St. (possibly now Rudman Drive, off Tatton St.) And giving his occupation as French Polisher in Dec 1917?

TEW

I have no answer to these questions. Until a couple of weeks ago I knew nothing about this chap, and then I found out his Army numbers. All the rest has come via this thread!

Martin

I hope it is OK to add this question to this thread, as it is literally keeping it in the family.

Henry Richard Clarke had several brothers, at least two of whom served.

Herbert Charles Clarke served as 34399 in the Scottish Rifles. He appears not to have served overseas. Across the attestation page of his documents is stamped the word GROUPED. (attached) What does this mean?

Also among his papers is the attached document referring to a badge to be worn on civilian dress only, showing that he had served in the Scottish Rifles. Does anyone know anything about this badge?

Martin

miuk1914f_129215-00079.jpg.e44f8d7ec362109b76a4f7fcca4262ae.jpgmiuk1914f_129215-00083.jpg.5dd379804d2b93c48b4708fd3f557d1d.jpg

Pictures courtesy of Ancestry

1 hour ago, tootrock said:

Also among his papers is the attached document referring to a badge to be worn on civilian dress only, showing that he had served in the Scottish Rifles. Does anyone know anything about this badge?

CLARKE, HC 34399

Did he get discharged and awarded a Silver War Badge?

Look exactly like the instructions for the wearing of a SWB - right lapel - on civilian clothing, not military uniform.

:-) M

Edit: Viewed on Ancestry - does FMP record more or clearer?

I can see your puzzlement - on further looking at his full SR in a number of places it records [1919] "Discharged under King's Regs. Para XXVA - Surplus to military requirements, not having suffered impairment since entry into service" = ???

There is another 1919 Confidential AF 3??? report relating to - a) no longer medically fit for war service b) discharges under 392xvia [but no condition readable by me]

That said in 1919 on his AF W5010 it is recorded "Blind in R Eye"/" Medical Cat. Bii" [having been Bi in 1917] and on he AF B179 for Q2 he does claim a condition injury disability recording an injury to his "Right eye" [and something I cannot read] - but then for Q4 , that he had suffered from before, he goes on to say "Yes" [and something I cannot read] = ???

He then goes before a Medical Board for "Defective vision" [but I cannot read more] = ???

However the note you posted above is 1920 and it really does look like a SWB issue/acknowledgement request

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

Further research shows that he did indeed have a Silver War Badge number B349803 on account of sickness.

What is an AF W5010?

Martin

The "Grouped" stamped on the attestation paper indicates that he enlisted under the Group Scheme, popularly known as the Derby Scheme.  The statement of service on Ancestry confirms enlistment under the Derby scheme giving the date of attestation as 14/9/16 and the date of mobilization as 20/4/17.

Screenshot_19.png.64fd1c2426aacec7427260540d72a78b.png

The AF W5010 is also on Ancestry

Screenshot_20.png.2a2dc409dc57f5b319bd57d2c4c8d1e4.png

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the man mentioned in my original post. I have now received a birth certificate for Henry Richard Clarke, born 4 January 1889 in Epping, and this is the same birth date given in the 1939 Register for Henry R Clarke, living in Tatton Street, Salford and married to Mary A. Clarke. I am satisfied that they are the same man, despite a couple of intermediate discrepancies!

Thanks for all the help!

Martin

On 19/01/2021 at 13:03, TEW said:

In 1911 Mary Agnes Thompson is in Regent Square, Salford, just over from Tatton St. With husband William etc. and had been married 3 years. Confirmed by GRO marriage 4th Quarter 1908 8d/173. Maiden name Hutter.

She's noted as a widow when married to Harry, her deceased father = William Hutter.

First husband died either 1912 or 1913. They had had one child by 1911 so Harry had a step-son.

I have just discovered that William Thompson was Pte 9077 in the 2 Btn Manchester Regiment reported missing 23 September 1914. Now buried in Guards Cemetery, Windy Corner, Cuinchy.  Widow's address confirmed on his MIC.

Martin

Sounds like a good family story.

I see Mary is the beneficiary to 1st husband's effects. £3/10/6 paid to Mary & Child in 1916 then the £5 gratuity in 1919. Child would be HRC's step-son I guess.

Looks like she applied for the 1914 Star, no date given but I suspect it was down to a change if address as she would have receiving the trio anyway.  Nothing on his rolls to indicate anything other than straight forward issue. I'd assume the pair were sent out after June 1921 automatically to Tatton St.

HRC's medal entitlement still a bit complicated but I think just clerical errors on duplicate rolls.

TEW

Sorry, I'll have to pass on that. Hopefully the forum expert on pension cards sees it. Interesting family details noted though including a 2nd adopted child not previously noted.

TEW

Although it does explain why HRC was living in the UK in late 1917.  53rd Young Soldiers battalion HS (Home service?).

TEW