Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Good Soldier Švejk, Jaroslav Hašek.

Josef Švejk

Wonderful book. A picture of its first appearance in the U.K. in 1930FFFA60B0-6E23-48D0-9D69-A523200D2645.jpeg.3b8a57ac78035a37e4d5eafb4a546b6a.jpeg

8 hours ago, Josef Švejk said:

Fadge and Lada's illustration too :) Have you dust cover in highest resolution?

Regards

PS Check this: The Salt of the Earth, Jozef Wittlin.

The Wittlin sounds fascinating. Must find a copy. I can do you a high res scan if you want but I only have an A4 scanner so it would be in 2 halves if you want it all.

5 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

I can do you a high res scan if you want but I only have an A4 scanner so it would be in 2 halves if you want it all.

Sounds great. Thanks.

I have a pin badge somewhere of 'The Good Soldier', bought in Praque many years ago.

Mike.

Such a wonderful book.  Sjvejk is just brilliant character and is probably the ultimate idiot savant, like a combination of Eccles and Chauncey Gardinier.  I have a couple of versions go Hasek's novel - the earlier translation feels more real and is funnier but when compared to a later translation clearly omits passages that were too rude or sensitive which is a real shame - I prefer reading the older one.  There is a new translation and this reminds me that I really aught to get to it!

• 2 years later...

I thought it to be a brilliant illustration as to the uselessness, waste and how the ordinary man worked his way through the war.. It's the people around him who are the idiots - and Schweick just keeps on going. Should be read by all people with a Great War interest!