Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help required - trying to solve family mystery and identify this soldier (Yorkshire connection)

pshelley

speculation is fultile- well indeed- so why have people been coming up with all this stuff about Emily Currie! When the only mother's details we have is Hannah Smith.

I do note that while ancestry holds private trees which have Emily and joseph in them there are a number of trees for brother John some of which are public. This makes it more likely that Emily did not have any children- certainly none with an interest in familyhistory.

8 hours ago, Madmeg said:

so why have people been coming up with all this stuff about Emily Currie

Simply to eliminate Emily as the mother of Ronald

The purpose of this thread from the Great War Forum’s point on view was to establish the

identity of the soldier in the photo, which may have lead, to the identity of the biological parents of

Ronald Smith Hopton for the benefit of  the O.P  pshelley

Despite the input of TEW, BARRY and numerous others the identity of the soldier is still not known

If no feedback from the O.P is forthcoming   (as Barry’s last post) 

maybe the thread should be allowed to die a natural death 

Ray

On 01/02/2021 at 22:15, pshelley said:

There has been a match with someone else on the site of the testing company I used and we have managed to establish a link with a common ancestor. It’s not 100% certain, but there is a very high chance indeed that I am related to Joseph Currie. In fact, it seems he was my great grandfather.

May be of interest.

1.  Joseph Currie was working as an Asylum Attendant at the West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum, Menston, when he enlisted in 1915.

2.  In honoured memory ...

Joseph.jpg

From here - scroll down to the year 2014:

https://menstonmemorialgarden.wordpress.com/gallery/

Note:

The West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum, Menston, opened in 1888. By the 1920's it became Menston Mental Hospital before gaining the title High Royds Psychiatric Hospital in 1963.

JP

• Admin

pshelley hasn't visited for a week, so I suggest that everyone stops working on this thread until/if we hear from them again. 

• 3 years later...

The original poster last visited the site a few weeks ago so I suspect is interested in any information

I found her Ancestry account and sent a message!

Don't know if I'm right, but.. cross your fingers!

I am still researching, but have been trying other ways to find more history on this side of my family.

I HAVE almost succeeded in removing the glue off the back of the postcard, every few months I have another go at it :)

I'll post my theory since I'm sure inquiring minds would like to know!

I think this could be:

Leonard Cooley [1872-1938], 11767, Private - Acting Corporal of The Leicestershire Regiment.

What leads me to believe this is physical indicators familiar to me, personality indicators familiar to me, and that Leonard and his wife lived at Rose Cottage in Leicester before their very messy divorce in 1912. About six or seven months before the date of birth.

I could be wildly wrong. But there are enough consistencies to motivate me to post!

3 hours ago, SaintApollonia said:

Leonard and his wife lived at Rose Cottage in Leicester

The subject of this thread resided at Rose Cottage Otley Yorkshire ?

Ray

**edit. Yes. PBS certificate says Otley.

The potential subejct of the photo lived at Rose Cottage, Leicester.

Perhaps a coincidence. But with the other erasure and three years between filing, I think it could be relevant.

Edited by SaintApollonia
For context and clarity