Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Welsh Guards 1918-1919

Dannemois

Pte 4773 Evans enlisted to 1st Welsh Guards and placed in Army Reserve until he was called-up 20 April 1918,  presumably reporting to Caterham, please correct me if I am wrong.  His records show he embarked Folkestone 10 Nov 1918 for Boulogne – would that mean travelling alone or group?   

According to the war diary battalion was at Douzies (approx. 133 miles distance).  News reached the battalion that armistice was signed.   I have no idea when Pte Evans met up with the Battalion.  His records show he served 69 days in France before returning to UK on 18 Jan 1919.  Can someone please explain the purpose of him being there.

Hi,

He would’ve been sent overseas as part of a “draft” of reinforcements (made up of newly trained soldiers and recovered sick/wounded men).

The draft would’ve gone to the Guards Base Depot in France for a short period of training before being sent to a Battalion to replace casualties as required. 

An armistice was signed 11th November but that did not mean the war was over - as it could have broken down at any time - so the BEF had to be kept at full strength.

The Guards Division marched from Belgium into Germany to take part in the Army of Occupation before they returned to England in March 1919 as the army began to demobilise.

Without seeing his record it is difficult to know whether Guardsman Evans actually reached his Battalion or remained at the Base Depot. Similarly the reason for his return to England will remain unclear without sight of his papers. He might’ve been returned for speedy demobilisation due to his civilian occupation - Miner, Police etc -  or he could have continued in service for many months on his return pending demobilisation.

Steve

Edited by tullybrone

Hi Steve

Thank you for the info.  For your interest I attach copy of Form B108 from his records and if I am reading it correctly Evans remained at Reserve Depot Harve ? 16/11/18 to 4/1/19 then Guards Base Depot Harfleur before leaving for England 17/1/19.

Regards Roy

Screenshot 2021-01-13 135403.jpg

I believe the B108 shows him in hospital 16.11.18 to 4.1.19 (possibly 39 Gen Hospital) with NYD (not yet diagnosed) illness (mild)

He was placed under stoppages (presumably of pay) 17.11.18-4.1.9 ie whilst in hospital.

Joined Gds Div Base Depot 4.1.19 at Harfleur

3 hours ago, Dannemois said:

Hi Steve

Thank you for the info.  For your interest I attach copy of Form B108 from his records and if I am reading it correctly Evans remained at Reserve Depot Harve ? 16/11/18 to 4/1/19 then Guards Base Depot Harfleur before leaving for England 17/1/19.

Regards Roy

Screenshot 2021-01-13 135403.jpg

Hi,

My reading of the 4 lines on the first page of his B103 (B108 was the Regular Army “Red” Discharge book) above mention of “To England (Demobilisation) 17.1.1919 are - 

1.  WO List - Admtd 39 General Hospital NYD (Not Yet Diagnosed) mild - Havre 16.11.19

2. Discharged to Reinforcements VDG? (Probably VD Gonorrhoea?) - Havre 4.1.1919

3. Placed under stoppages from 17.11.1918 to 4.1.1919 49 days (pay was stopped when a man was in hospital for VD treatment)

4. 4.1.1919 Base Depot Joined Guards Div Base Depot (then looks like “a” - can’t interpret that letter further) Harfleur 4.1.1919

He is sent back to England for demobilisation 17.1.1919 - likely on acccount of his previous employment in the Mining Industry. He never served with 1st WG overseas. 

Steve

EDIT TO ADD PREPARED AT SAME TIME AS BUTLER POSTED.

Edited by tullybrone

On 13/01/2021 at 16:29, tullybrone said:

He is sent back to England for demobilisation 17.1.1919 - likely on acccount of his previous employment in the Mining Industry. He never served with 1st WG overseas. 

Hi Steve; I'm a little confused should he be entitled to the V medal 

Screenshot 2021-01-15 193812.jpg

9 minutes ago, Dannemois said:

I'm a little confused should he be entitled to the V medal 

Yes.

Disembarked Boulogne 10/11/1918.

That qualified him for both.

• 2 years later...

Very interesting finding this post. My Great Uncle, John Lewis from Carmarthenshire, also enlisted on 22 April 2018 in the Welsh Guards, 1st Battalion.

He also left Folkestone on 10th November 1918 for Boulogne. I have his WWI record but can't make out on the Military History Sheet where he actually was. The writing very thick and difficult to read unfortunately. Can anyone help decipher the handwriting. Thank you.

JL War record 3.jpg

Croeso Cymru Ferch,
I think it says European Campaign.
He was 5339 Pte, John Lewis, Llether Bach, Pontantwn.His 'Pension' Record on Ancestry is here:
He qualified for his medals with a day to spare!

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1114/images/miuk1914a_085297-00155?usePUB=true&pId=443524

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Diolch, Dai Bach. Ah yes, I can see it now, European Campaign! Not much other detail. Records indicate he was there for demobilisation. Thank you for the link as well. 😊