Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bodies found in Serre in November 1916

KIRKY

Reading reports that say bodies were  found buried in Serre in November 1916, presumed men from 1st July attack.

Are there any records as to who they were or where buried?

Tony

Pte 12/879 Archie Brammer and L/Cpl 12/469 Albert Outram , both signallers of D Coy 12th York and Lancs made it to the village. Outram was taken PoW and Brammer is buried in Railway Hollow MC. A small party of B Coy also made it to the village, 4 of which I believe are buried at AIF Burial Ground. There are also some unknown 12th Bn men buried in Ten Tree Alley No.1 whose remains may have been recovered from the village. 
It’s been a while since I looked at those that made it into the village on the 1st. I’ll have a look through some old notes later, there may be more.

18 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

Pte 12/879 Archie Brammer and L/Cpl 12/469 Albert Outram , both signallers of D Coy 12th York and Lancs made it to the village. Outram was taken PoW and Brammer is buried in Railway Hollow MC. A small party of B Coy also made it to the village, 4 of which I believe are buried at AIF Burial Ground. There are also some unknown 12th Bn men buried in Ten Tree Alley No.1 whose remains may have been recovered from the village. 
It’s been a while since I looked at those that made it into the village on the 1st. I’ll have a look through some old notes later, there may be more.

THats great info thanks

Tony