Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

S-1761 PTE G MILLER RIFLE BRIGADE

1953bloke

6 hours ago, stiletto_33853 said:

Wounded in action 3/9/16, this was the attack by the 20th Division on Guillemont. Listed as missing by the Battalion's C.O. on 14/9/16

Andy

Thank you. Where can I find out more?

2 minutes ago, 1953bloke said:

I don't have the Victory Medal.

That's a shame you don't have the VM - perhaps spread out to his/your wider family???

If you have the BWM that's a real plus as it was the one which most commonly was sold in hard times - and even melted down because of the silver content!

Please make sure you have the correct ribbons on the 1914-15 & BWM [both appear wrong] - original and newer replacement ribbons are widely available.

As your father was born in 1921 perhaps he served in WW2 and that is possibly where the 1939-45 War Medal ribbon came from ???

Whilst we can't discuss here in detail, if he did serve in WW2, and if he is still alive, he can get his service record from https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records [or, if not, you may be able to]

Have you tried finding/getting back his VM?

If in the known family probably worth trying to negotiate getting his group back together for posterity - perhaps even offer them some cash or give them your medals!?!

If not - If you register with the British Medal Forum https://britishmedalforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9651 they have a "Seeking family medals" sub-forum.

Don't forget that if you want a decent replacement/replica/alternative VM, to make up the his Pip, Squeak & Wilfred Trio for a display, you can get them from reputable medal suppliers. [perhaps not recommended, but if you get a replacement one with his regimental number on it it should have an "R" on the rim to show it was a later replacement - rims were impressed (sort of machine stamped), not engraved, so engraving is a giveaway of non-originality!]

:-) M

Try putting Guillemont in the search engine, this action has been covered in depth before. The casualty report is in the war diary.

Andy

4 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

That's a shame you don't have the VM - perhaps spread out to his/your wider family???

If you have the BWM that's a real plus as it was the one which most commonly was sold in hard times - and even melted down because of the silver content!

Please make sure you have the correct ribbons on the 1914-15 & BWM [both appear wrong] - original and newer replacement ribbons are widely available.

As your father was born in 1921 perhaps he served in WW2 and that is possibly where the 1939-45 War Medal ribbon came from ???

Whilst we can't discuss here in detail, if he did serve in WW2, and if he is still alive, he can get his service record from https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records [or, if not, you may be able to]

Have you tried finding/getting back his VM?

If in the known family probably worth trying to negotiate getting his group back together for posterity - perhaps even offer them some cash or give them your medals!?!

If not - If you register with the British Medal Forum https://britishmedalforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9651 they have a "Seeking family medals" sub-forum.

Don't forget that if you want a decent replacement/replica/alternative VM, to make up the his Pip, Squeak & Wilfred Trio for a display, you can get them from reputable medal suppliers. [perhaps not recommended, but if you get a replacement one with his regimental number on it it should have an "R" on the rim to show it was a later replacement - rims were impressed (sort of machine stamped), not engraved, so engraving is a giveaway of non-originality!]

:-) M

I can't begin to say how touched I am by all the help I've received here. Many thanks. I realised what was meant by "round the edge" of the medal and yes it is stamped S1761 so that confirms it along with the casualty record from 3/9/16 kindly provided by Stiletto.

You are also spot on about the ribbons. I have both my father's and mother's service medals from WW2 hence the mixed up ribbons.

I'll also look up the Guillemont record. Once again many thanks to everyone for helping me get started with this. 

17 hours ago, MaxD said:

His number was S 761- medal card at the National Archives here: Medal card of Miller, George Corps: Rifle Brigade Regiment No: S/761 ... | The National Archives

Care, not to be confused with another Miller with the number 1761 of the Somerset Yeomanry.

MaxD,

Firstly many thanks for helping with this. I think after examining both medals the number was S1761 so I've made  a request to the national archives to amend it. 

Agree, it is the transcription of the number at the National Archives which is in error and which led me astray, sorry.  Medal award rolls all agree with S/1761.

MaxD

The war diary can be downloaded (you need to register) from the National Archives at: 10 Battalion Rifle Brigade | The National Archives  (As Andy has pointed out, see the appendix to September 1916 for an account).  The start point for the action was at Arrow Head Copse east of Guillemont, on the map at:

Explore georeferenced maps - Map images - National Library of Scotland (nls.uk).

Max

As a child growing up I was aware  that S1761(aka grandad George) had been injured in WW1. His life and character were often spoken of but there was never any mention of where he had served, his injuries or deeds. I have a feeling that neither my father or my grandmother had any idea of the perilous nature of his year in France and befitting his modesty and kindness (as described by my mother who clearly admired him) he probably never told anyone. The Guilemont casualty lists show how tenuous and random life and death were and how lucky I am to be alive.

Edited by 1953bloke
Typo