Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hudson Maxim's invention to make torpedo's harmless

davidbohl

Liverpool Daily Post runs a story in June 1917 about a new invention by Hudson Maxim that makes torpedo's harmless. It seems a bold claim, what became of it?

Thanks

Dave

From the BNA

LivPost_1917Jun14.png.e65b17adcfaf7f0cdc2001fd40d439b9.png

The device seems to have consisted of water tanks completely surrounding the hull.

see  https://www.nytimes.com/1918/01/17/archives/hudson-maxim-asks-antitorpedo-test-tells-senators-of-his-plan-to.html

You need a subscription but the brief details are shown.   

May be that ship constructors were already filling similar spaces along the hull with more useful stuff - like coal, oil or crush tubes ala  HMS Hood.

Edited by Gunner Hall

Thanks Gunner H, I can see an immediate problem with it when you try to determine where the water line is when empty, full and so on.

There would be speed implications too with the weight and shape of them.

Dave

Edited by davidbohl

Indeed, I know that similar spaces were used as bunkers - so as coal or oil was consumed, the trim of the vessel would have to be constantly tweaked anyway. 

Empty ones could always be flooded,  I expect that someone would have to  closely monitor the levels in each space.   

I've just realised that I've seen a fictional? example of this - Not Great War related, and I apologise, in advance, but there is a scene in "San Dometrio, London" where someone has to get into a noxious space to transfer oil from one tank to another in order to improve the trim of the vessel.  

GH

Edited by Gunner Hall