Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rifles Brigade/KRRC Service Battalions

PriadofDamocles

Good evening, 

I am interested in finding out more about the battalions of the Rifle Brigade and the Kings Royal Rifle Corps in the FWW, and wonders if the good folk of this forum could help out? 

I understand the pre-war regular battalions recruited nationally, was this also true of the war raised service battalions or did they ever take on a more regional focus? From the research I've done I understand that some battalions were raised along 'pals' lines such as the Church Lads Brigade and the British Empire League. 

Any ideas/advice is greatly appreciated. 

With best wishes, 

38 minutes ago, PriadofDamocles said:

Good evening, 

I am interested in finding out more about the battalions of the Rifle Brigade and the Kings Royal Rifle Corps in the FWW, and wonders if the good folk of this forum could help out? 

I understand the pre-war regular battalions recruited nationally, was this also true of the war raised service battalions or did they ever take on a more regional focus? From the research I've done I understand that some battalions were raised along 'pals' lines such as the Church Lads Brigade and the British Empire League. 

Any ideas/advice is greatly appreciated. 

With best wishes, 

The two regiments did indeed recruit nationally.  The service battalions each took on the regional flavour of wheresoever they were formed.  If you look in the ‘longlongtrail’ adjunct to this website at the top of the page you will find them listed under the heading ‘Regiments’.  You can then see where each one was raised.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 2 weeks later...

I am not expert enough to make comment about the RB and KRRC in general but can tell you that the 16th Bn KRRC was recruited from all parts of the UK. Men from Portrush in northern Ireland, from Limerick and Cork in southern Ireland, from Coatbridge and Edinburgh in Scotland, from Berwick, Bolton, Rochdale, Leicester, Chesham, etc.

Initial recruiting involved former members of the Church Lads' Brigade.

I don't believe that you would refer to the 16th as a pals battalion as it was not formed by mates from a specific locality. Men from the 16th KRRC usually had a C prefix with their number, ie C/670.