Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grandfather photo any info uniform etc

wulsten

My grandfather from previous thread served with the RGA then transferred to Bedfordshire Regiment 1st battalion, I've recently been given a pic of him ? In RA uniform but seems inconsistent with age etc, any info on uniform etc

2nd colour pic with Bedfordshire regt

20201108_065445.jpg

20210109_001858.jpg

The black and white photo definitely shows a gunner of one of the branches of the Royal Artillery.  The cap badge was the same for all of them with only shoulder titles differing.  He wears the leather belt from the 1903 pattern bandolier equipment, which usually relates to a mounted duty unit, but was largely standard for the artillery as a whole during the war.

There is no regimental insignia visible in the colourised image.

Edited by FROGSMILE

The ears look significantly different in both photos. I don't think they are of the same man.

Steve.

12 hours ago, Stebie9173 said:

The ears look significantly different in both photos. I don't think they are of the same man.

Steve.

Yes, I agree Steve.  Ostensibly, the age difference would also not work, unless the colour image was from around 1902, just after service dress was introduced.  However, all that said, the eyes, forehead and centre parted hairline are remarkably similar.  Knowing his name and tracing his service details from whatever has survived might throw some light on things.

Edited by FROGSMILE

What is he holding in the first photograph? If it's a spur this might make him a driver rather than a gunner.

Has your "grandfather from previous thread" got a name and number?

aim.

Viewing images like this on iPhone is never a good idea... Is he sporting a divisional patch on his upper left sleeve?  Looks like he’s holding a crocus, lily or similar flower and not a spur

29 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

Viewing images like this on iPhone is never a good idea... Is he sporting a divisional patch on his upper left sleeve?  Looks like he’s holding a crocus, lily or similar flower and not a spur

Yes Jay, I too think that he’s holding a buttonhole type flower with the petals open and facing downwards.  I can’t see any arm badge though.

Thanks for reply, 21178 Harold Mayer bedfordshire regt, previous replies indicated he enlisted with the RGA and then transferred to Bedfordshire regy, just wondering if this could be his father with links to 1900s possibly territorial????

37 minutes ago, wulsten said:

Thanks for reply, 21178 Harold Mayer bedfordshire regt, previous replies indicated he enlisted with the RGA and then transferred to Bedfordshire regy, just wondering if this could be his father with links to 1900s possibly territorial????

There’s certainly a resemblance around the forehead to my eyes.  A father and son would make sense given the apparent timeline difference between the two images.

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 hours ago, HTSCF Fareham said:

image.png.cdeb8f09e751e35bdce5c8a71b19ea4e.png

The visual evidence suggests a gunner, as their isn’t a single one of the features usually associated with an artillery driver seen and worn so proudly and distinctly in many images within the Great War Forum.  There is no bandolier, no spurs, no whip, and nor are puttees tied in the mounted manner.

Edited by FROGSMILE

22 hours ago, aim said:

What is he holding in the first photograph? If it's a spur this might make him a driver rather than a gunner.

Has your "grandfather from previous thread" got a name and number?

aim.

21178 Harold Mayer, Bedfordshire Regiment