Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

303324 Royal Engineers H Winstanley

Wxmnorm

Hello, I am soon to be in the Possession of x2 war medals that were awarded to a Harry Winstanley 303324 of the Royal engineers WW1. I’m not 100% sure myself,  but I have been told he was involved in the Great War from 1914. (That’s all the knowledge I have) I just wanted to see if anyone has any knowledge or a direction I can be pointed to, to find out if he made it home and where he served during his time. Thank you. 

Mark 

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. As always, the best place to start is reading the How To Research A Soldier on the Long Long Trail Website. 
To see if he died, the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website is the place to search.

War diaries are currently free to view on the National Archives site after registration. 

Michelle  

This doesn't answer your questions but here is his medal card from Ancestry-showing name, number, regiment and medals awarded which presumably are the two you are getting.

image.png.da61a7abfa664896fd9c83e3612e3bb7.png

George

Unfortunately there appears to be no surviving records for him. His number was issued  around  July 1917 and he may have come from Lancashire. His rank of Sapper shows he had passed a trade test. 

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Thank you for the above reply’s. I’ve attached a photo of the medals, I also have his dog tags too with them. Thanks Mark 

image.jpg

Edited by Wxmnorm

Those are indeed the two medals mentioned on the card. The silver one is the British War Medal and the bronze one is the Victory Medal.

He was apparently not awarded either the 1914 Star or the 1914-15 Star, which means that he did not go abroad until after 31 December 1915.

Ron