Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Question about the RGA

Gunner 87

My family have recently found the attached photograph of my Great Grandfather Albert Yerrell 32086 / 1406012 who served with the Royal Garrison Artillery. Research has shown that he was posted on Malta for a period.

My question relates to the decor on the wall which shows the RA badge then 'Left Section' followed by '9 Coy', though they were deployed in Gibraltar, or possibly '99 Coy', if the first digit is obscured, which served in Malta. I have never heard of this terminology before and can find no trace of it when looking at 9 or 99 Company RGA.

Does any member recognise or have any knowledge of the term or unit? Could it possibly be the name of the Mess where the photograph may have ben taken?

any opinions welcome, many thanks...

RGA.png

Edited by Gunner 87

Because garrison artillery was at the time categorised as a dismounted corps the organisational manning terms, company and section, were used instead of battery and detachment.

Edited by FROGSMILE

8 hours ago, Coldstreamer said:

Hi Coldstreamer, thanks for the the link but it shows an error when opening. I've just checked the LLT and says 9 Coy were in Gibraltar but 99 Coy were in Malta. I'm no expert and would value any evidence to say that 99 were elsewhere. 

7 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Because garrison artillery was at the time categorised as a dismounted corps the organisational manning terms, company and section, were used instead of battery and detachment.

Interesting and certainly resolves the issue ... thank you.

Having looked at the pass issued to my Great Grandfather on Malta it says 99 Coy, not 90 Coy as originally thought.... @FROGSMILE @Coldstreamer

pass.jpg

Very interesting to see that it’s printed on fabric, not something that I’ve noticed before.

Gunner 87

I don't know if you realise that this man was researched on this forum way back in 2012; there were two threads (one of which would have answered your question re the Coy) and further photos of him.

Rgds Paul

4 minutes ago, ororkep said:

Gunner 87

I don't know if you realise that this man was researched on this forum way back in 2012; there were two threads (one of which would have answered your question re the Coy) and further photos of him.

Rgds Paul

Hi Paul, I was aware of the previous threads but with the new photograph was interested in the 'Left Section' written on the wall. I also wanted to confirm that this picture was taken in Malta as opposed to another posting. I appreciate you letting me know though. Kind regards.

14 hours ago, Coldstreamer said:

Hi Coldstreamer. You were right, just found from a historical site that 99 Company arrived at Malta from Gibraltar in 1903 and left 1910.