Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The BSA Factory, Birmingham

MPS

I have a works time or pay check issued for use at the “BSA Factory, Birmingham”. It’s reverse side, bears the War Department logo (i.e. a “W” and “D” either side of a vertical pointing broad arrow symbol).

I’m trying to work out which of the British Small Arms factories in Birmingham this check originates from. I know the BSA Co. Ltd. started of in Armoury Road, Small Heath and later went on to have other facilities in the city. Amongst these was another major works which prior to 1906 had operated as the Royal Small Arms Factory, Sparkbrook. Was there one principal BSA works in Birmingham that was known as the BSA Factory?

FA56B7FC-9604-4834-B09E-CC0467CF9396.jpeg

1C8ACE0C-F0CD-4217-B3A9-25E8028E780B.jpeg

The following webpage has some information about the company. It doesn't have the information you are looking for, but there are links to other pages which possibly may have something

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/BSA

From 1918 Directory of Manufacturers in Engineering and Allied Trades,  Grace's Guide to British Industrial History. 

This 1916 map of Armoury Rd shows the BSA factory. Was the major works in Sparkbrook part of the original factory or was the BSA factory added to the Royal Small Arms Factory.

Brian.

Courtesy old-maps.co.uk

EDIT: There are other maps on the system but this is the earliest I could find where the factories are named. I had a trawl around but I could not find anything else marked BSA.

001.JPG

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

As the token reads R.S.A. Factory Birmingham I would have thought this would have related to Sparkbrook, rather than BSA which was a private company. However, I think at one time BSA did run the Sparkbrook factory for the  the government.

Regards

AlanD

It was just off the city centre. The Birmingham Proof House building shown on the map still exists.  Indeed, you can  see it from the train as it comes in from Coventry.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

• 1 month later...

Glimpses, on Talking Pictures TV last night featured Birmingham in the 50s and showed the AA motor cycle men on their BSA 600 cc machines. Some good images of the BSA factory on Armoury Rd.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Phyllis Nicklin was a lecturer at the University of Birmingham who, in the '50s and '60s, caused a large number of 35mm transparencies to be taken of the old parts of Birmingham as they were being torn down for redevelopment, including the Gun Quarter.  This one, and many others, have been scanned and are on the University's website.  

http://epapers.bham.ac.uk/464/