Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Artillery Territorial Force officer

Hello, i am new to this site so will be a little while while i navigate my way around the site. I've been advised from national archives that you may be able to help. 
I've recently started building a family tree on My Heritage site. At the moment i'm hitting a wall. I have a photo of a late family member who i'm trying to identify. I have no first name but i have the surname as Hamilton, a year of 1916 and a place by the name of Limekilns which is a small village in Fife Scotland near where i live. My hope is to identify the uniform and the cap badge. From the photo's it looks like Cavalry and perhaps a Lieutenant. Horse mounted as per the riding crop. 
I understand this request to be a bit of a long shot but i would appreciate any help at all if anyone can assist in moving forward,

best regards,

amac162.

73F02A39-F433-479D-85ED-6ECB306303B8.jpeg

F8071F34-3F4F-419B-B1B3-CABC5F7C2A78.jpeg

Edited by Guest

welcome to the forum

Id suggest you change title of post to say something like "what regiment is this" - research title is a little vague and you want to draw people in who like a challenge

• Guest changed the title to What regiment/Uniform is this please.

looks like a fusilier to me but Im no expert  -  the riding crop is probably just for artistic purposes

25 minutes ago, Coldstreamer said:

....... the riding crop is probably just for artistic purposes

perhaps not - he's also wearing spurs. Several officer appointments, even in Infantry Regiments, were mounted.  I was going to say Artillery but there is no scroll on the collar dogs.  Welch Fusiliers? WW1 RE (TA)?  Cap badge is well beyond me. 

Frogsmile will be here soon.

Edited by TullochArd

• Admin

Although the cap badge is very distorted, I'm going to say Artillery, based on the scroll I can make out. I also think there is a T visible , denoting a territorial. 

Michelle 

Royal Artillery Territorial Force, scrolls were not added to collar badges until the 1920s.  Good spot by Michelle and Tulloch Ard.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• spof changed the title to Royal Artillery Territorial Force officer