The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Button and epaulette identification

Gunner 87

Hi Gents. A quick query as to this soldiers regiment. The op, I and others believe the buttons maybe MGC but there is a consensus that the X is too shallow. Added to that is the question of the MGC being formed in 1915 and having their own tunic which doesn't seem to correspond with the 1902 pattern being worn. Does the band on the epaulette assist? @FROGSMILE

many thanks and I hope you have a good NYE.

WW1 Buttons.png

Edited by Gunner 87

I am not sure what button that is.  There does seem to be a crossed device of some kind and the only buttons I know that fit that profile are the Machine Gun Corps, the School of Musketry and the Army Gymnastics Staff.  The jacket appears to be a standard 1902 service dress, but with a two colour flash on the shoulder strap instead of a title.  The MGC certainly wore a standard jacket but usually with a metal or cloth shoulder title.  The jury’s out on this one.  @CorporalPunishmenthas a good eye, perhaps he can help.  

E11B1363-78F0-4769-80F6-6A09F7B29AF5.jpeg

10 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I am not sure what button that is.  There does seem to be a crossed device of some kind and the only buttons I know that fit that profile are the Machine Gun Corps, the School of Musketry and the Army Gymnastics Staff.  The jacket appears to be a standard 1902 service dress, but with a two colour flash on the shoulder strap instead of a title.  The MGC certainly wore a standard jacket but usually with a metal or cloth shoulder title.  The jury’s out on this one.  @CorporalPunishmenthas a good eye, perhaps he can help.  

E11B1363-78F0-4769-80F6-6A09F7B29AF5.jpeg

Thank you Frogsmile, appreciate your suggestions. I am leaning towards the MGC having looked at the alternatives but a hard one for sure, particularly without shoulder titles.