Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Naval officer and his death?

stevenbecker

Mates,

I notice this in the Verlustlisten: Marineoffiziere

Arnim Hans von     LtzS a.D Marine    Exp. d. Kptlt. v. Möller    1915-16    (born 1875 at Coblenz died 3-16) Tot at Djidda (Arabien) Verlustlisten: Marineoffiziere

He is shown in the Verlustlisten 1. Weltkrieg but any other details on him or what he was doing is unknown?

Expedtion Kapt-Lt von Möller

I am sorry I can not find any details?

I take it he was on one of the many expeditions the Germans sent out during the early stages of the war in this area of Africa and Asia 

Do you have any ideas here?

S.B

Along with his shipmates von Arnim was killed by rebellious Arabs May 25th, 1916 near Djidda (Jeddah) after escaping aboard the two masted schooner Weddigen (ex Marboek) under the command of Möller. As I understand it they had early in the war been detained in the Dutch East Indies (Surabaya) and were attempting to return home.
 MB

Additional information: Möller, had previously been in command of the river gunboat Tsingtau until 8.1.1914 and was returning to Germany onboard the North German Lloyd steamer Machew when war broke out. He was interned in Batavia by the Dutch. He and fellow German naval officers (reservists) Arnim, Deike, Gründler, Mau, Schwarting plus Turkish ship's cook Said Achmad crewed the schooner Weddigen in an attempt to escape home. After a voyage of 82 days they landed on the Arabian coast at Hadramaut and headed out overland for Sana and Hodeida. Killed by Arabs on 05/25/1916 along with his companions.

Edited by KizmeRD
Addl. info added

Kizme,

Mate Yes I think I read some thing in Van der Vat's book on the Emden,, where Mücke mention a later group killed by arabs, after they were attacked?

I found Arnim and Moller, but these I can't find, any insight?

Deike, Gründler, Mau, Schwarting

I also notice Moller and the others, Deike, Gründler, Mau, Schwarting are not shown in the Verlustlisten: Marineoffiziere

Were they officers?

Cheers and Happy new year

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

Happy New Year!

Heinrich Deike, born 5 June 1889 Bremervörde (Hanover).
Vizesteuermann der Reserve - had been serving in the merchant navy (interned Dutch East Indies)

Karl Gründler, born 16 May 1885 in Berlin
Matrose des Landsturms - had been serving in the merchant navy (interned Dutch East Indies)

Heinrich Mau born 5 October 1891 Steinbergholz (Schleswig-Holstein).
Matrose des Landsturms, previously served on the steamer Offenbach, merchant navy (interned Dutch East Indies)

Arthur Schwarting born 3 October 1885 Elsfleth-Oldenburg
Matrose des Landsturms - had been serving in the merchant navy (interned Dutch East Indies)

MB

(HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL)

Here photos from Kapitänleutnant Möller and his companions, who were killed by the Harb and Utaiba,

25 km north of the northern gate “Bab al-Medinah” of Jeddah downtown between 18th and 24th May 1916.

Kptl. von Möller.jpg

Here the second photo

German Navy articel in 1935.jpg

Edited by Holger Kotthaus

Mate,

ich danke dir sehr

I did see these, but I was confused by your comment (He and fellow German naval officers (reservists) , my mistake sorry.

Holger

Great photos of these lost men

Cheers

S.B

Steve and KizmeRD

I must correct myself and apologize to KizmeRD. I was a bit hasty with my time

(May 18 - 24, 1916). This information was based on various British, Turkish and

German sources. Ten years ago, we discussed this very intensive a few Years in

a German Forum, which unfortunately does not exist anymore.

The date which was mentioned by KizmeRD, May 25, 1916, is the last valid date

that we determined at that time. Ultimately, however, this date cannot be definitively

confirmed. Whereby none of the protagonists at the time was really there.

According to British information, the leader who slain the Germans and offered the

cutted heads of the group of Kapitänleutnant Erwin von Möller to the English for sale

was Audah Ibn Zuweid. The same man attacked Major Freiherr Othmar von Stotzingen's

small group at almost the same spot two weeks later. This 'hero' in British service was then

portrayed by Anthony Quinn in the film, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom.

Cheers Holger

Thank you Holger for the the additional information and clarifications. As you suggest, we shall never know the exact circumstances of this particular incident. Clearly the date of their deaths is only an approximation, but at least we can be fairly certain of their identities -and it was also great to see the group photo taken prior to these gentlemen setting out on their ill feted journey home.

MB

Mates,

Yes I figured that it would be hard to confirm.

Holger didn't Quinn play Auda abu Tayi

I notice the comments on Auda Ibn Zuweid, where he threw two German orderlies over board to the sharks from Stotzingen's group off Yembo, and then after guiding them robbed them, no wonder he was friends with TEL.

He is said to command 261 camel mounted men and 836 foot men

An interesting write up is the book, "Hejaz before World War 1, a handbook" by Hogarth

Cheers

S.B