Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Understanding Service Medal and Awards Roll, ticks and crosses marked on theatre of war?

Hi, would anyone have any info what the "X" crosses, "O" zeros and ticks meant, under the heading "Theatre of war", on the awards roll from the attached picture please?

The entry with the "O" is my great grandfather so would love to know why his was marked differently to everyone elses please.

Can't make out if someone has initialed,or its some sort of code/abbreviation after the "O".

Many thanks,

Tim

Medal Awards.JPG

They're marks from the clerks who compiled the rolls. I'm not sure that we've ever fully got to the bottom of what they mean.

Craig

Tim

I think it's for those with a 1914 or 1914 - 15 Star and those who did not qualify for one. 

Brian

EDIT

This is the BW & V Roll Royal Engineers. My gf John Morris has no 1914-15 Star, the other three went to France in November 1915 with 30 Div RE.

EDIT 2

I've just noticed that my gf was discharged under KR 392 and received a SWB, the other three went on to the Z Reserve

cpre rolls.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

The first explanation looks the more convincing. It could have been a cross check to ensure that a man included on the BWM/VM roll who was entitled to the 1914-15 Star had not inadvertently been omitted from the 1914-15 Star roll.  A cross check on whether or not a man had been discharged to the Z Reserve seems less likely.

I agree. It was only an after thought about the SWB. I've not done any checks to test it.

Brian