Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SMS Emden's crew list?

stevenbecker

Mates,

I notice there is a list of those who were lost or taken PoW from the Emden, but what about the 30-40 men who escaped to Turkey?

I just started to look at these as some show up in the Forces during the war in Turkey as per Wolf's book

Accounts give me those men

Gerdts Johannes (Hans)     LtzS deR to ObLtzS deR Marine    Torpidobot komutani olan (Torpedo Boat Commander) Ottoman Destroyer "Bafra" or "Basra" 6-15 to 8-17 RTG return to Derindje naval detachment to Ottoman Destroyer "Bafra" or "Basra" 1-18 to 5-18 to Commander of a T-boat of the torpedo boat flotilla Sewastopol 5-18 to 11-18     1915-17 1917-18    (1885 in Lehe DoA 13-4-45) Merchant Navy interned in Padang 1914 joined with ObLtzS Mücke from SMS Emden 1914 escaped to Yeman stayed in Turkey until the end of the war awarded EK II 11-2-15 later WWII Merchant Navy suicide shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Gyssling (Gyßling) Eugen    LtzS Marine    SMS Emden to ObLtzS U 50    1915-    born at München KIA 31-8-17) U 50 reported Sunk probably from a mine off Terschelling North Sea on or after 31-8-17 44 dead (all hands lost) Bavanian from SMS Gneisenau to SMS Emden 1914-1915 escaped to Yeman with ObLtzS Mücke father General Gysslinf 6th Bavanian Div

Keil Willi    Matrose Marine     SMS Emden    1915-    (born at Merlach Sachsen-Altenburg DoD 27-3-15) Krankheit (illness) of typhus near Al Lith from SMS Emden 1914-1915 escaped to Yeman with ObLtzS Mücke

Koschinsky (possibly Wilhelm)    Matrose Marine    SMS Emden to Bootsmann 1918    1915-    (possibly born at Lägerdorf Steinburg ) zurüdgeh from SMS Emden 1914-1915 escaped to Yeman with ObLtzS Mücke schwer verwundet (badly wounded) WIA 1-4-15 when attacked by arabs at Ras el Aswad

Lang Heinrich    Dr Marine    SMS Emden    1915-    Merchant Navy interned in Padang 1914 joined with ObLtzS Mücke from SMS Emden 1914 escaped to Yeman (not identified)?

Lanig Friedrich    Heizer (Stoker) Marine    SMS Emden    1915-    (born at Heidelberg Baden DoW 2-4-15) from SMS Emden 1914-1915 escaped to Yeman with ObLtzS Mücke WIA 1-4-15 when attacked by arabs at Ras el Aswad

Mauritz Julius    Matrose Marine    SMS Emden to ObMaat     1915-    (born at Lucknojen Labiau ) from SMS Emden 1914-1915 escaped to Yeman with ObLtzS Mücke schwer verwundet (badly wounded) WIA 1-4-15 when attacked by arabs at Ras el Aswad shown vermißt MIA 1916

Mücke (Muecke) Hellmuth von     LtzS to Kapt-Lt Marine    1st officer "SMS Emden" sayed after escape across the Indian Ocean - Firat Nehir birlikleri Komutani (Firat (Euphrates) River Forces Commander) Mesopotamia    1914-15  1917    (1881 at Zwickau died 30-7-57) Saxon from SMS Emden 1914-1915 3 officers 6 PO's 41 men escaped to Yeman arrived Istanbul 23-5-15 5 officers 7 PO's and 30 men RTG 1915 illness to 15th half Flotilla Torpedoboats 8th Flotilla in North Sea returned to Mesopotamia RTG 1917 to Danube Half Flotilla to Navagation officer SMS "Derfflinger" 8-17 to 2nd Torpedoboat Div 5-18 awarded EK II 2-15 & EK I 4-15 wrote books also recognized the danger for the Armenians shown in Klaus Wolf's Book 

Rademacher (Josef)     Matrose Marine    SMS Emden - 1. Abtlg    1915-    (born Essen Ruhr KIA 1-4-15) Tot joinned SMS Emden 1914-1915 escaped to Yeman with ObLtzS Mücke shot when attacked by arabs at Ras el Aswad (Saudi Arabia)

Schmidt Kurt Georg Roderich    LtzS Marine    SMS Emden    1915-    (born 1892 at Kiel DoW 1-4-15) from SMS Gneisenau to SMS Emden 1914-1915 escaped to Yeman with ObLtzS Mücke WIA 1-4-15 while commanding rear guard shot when attacked by arabs at Ras el Aswad (Saudi Arabia) father Admiral Schmidt Commander Baltic Fleet 

Schwaneberger Erich    Maschinenmaat deR Marine     SMS Emden to ObMaschinenmaat    1915-    (born at Berlin ) Merchant Navy interned in Sumatra 1914 joinned with ObLtzS Mücke escapee's from SMS Emden 29-12-14 to Yeman arrived Istanbul 23-5-15 shown bisher vermißt MIA 1916

Wellmann Franz    LtzS deR Marine    Sdr-Kdo (Sonderkommando) 5-15 - Wachoffizier SMS Breslau (Midilli) 9-15 to SMS Goeben (Yavuz) 11-15 to ObLtzS 2-16     1915-16    (1882 in Abbehausen ) Merchant Navy interned in Sumatra 1914 joinned with ObLtzS Mücke escapee's from SMS Emden 29-12-14 to Yeman arrived Istanbul 23-5-15 to II. Matrosen-Division Wilhelmshaven 7-16 to Wachoffzier SMS "Posen" 10-16 to 1918 awarded EK II 2-15 wrote account by Addi Dreier "Die legendäre Rückkehr des Landungszuges der S.M.S. Emden" shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Witte    Matrose Marine    SMS Emden    1915-    from SMS Emden 1914-1915 escaped to Yeman with ObLtzS Mücke leicht verwundet (minor wound) WIA 1-4-15 when attacked by arabs at Ras el Aswad (not identified)?

Yes the list is drawn from Dan Van der Vat's book.

Is there a list of those who got home?

Mücke gives us these numbers in Istanbul after the trip?

5 officers (shown above)

7 PO's and

30 men

Any sites I can check out?

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

I am new to this site and have just read your post re The Emden.  I have done a small amount of research on this ship while doing Family Research on my great grandfather who moved from Cornwall, England to Penang, Malaya.  Shortly after the outbreak of WWI, the German East Asia Squadron left its base in Tsingtao, China, heading east for Germany.  One ship, a light cruiser named SMS Emden, under Lt. Commander Karl von Muller, was sent on a solitary raiding mission on Penang.  My great grandfather, Dr. Prosper Liston, witnessed the attack on the 28th October 1914, which later became known as the Battle of Penang.  Wikipedia has some interesting information as well as The Straits Times Newspaper Archives website - see The Singapore Free Press, 2nd November 1914 titled "The Emden at Penang".  

30 minutes ago, alorstar57 said:

I am new to this site and have just read your post re The Emden.  I have done a small amount of research on this ship while doing Family Research on my great grandfather who moved from Cornwall, England to Penang, Malaya.  Shortly after the outbreak of WWI, the German East Asia Squadron left its base in Tsingtao, China, heading east for Germany.  One ship, a light cruiser named SMS Emden, under Lt. Commander Karl von Muller, was sent on a solitary raiding mission on Penang.  My great grandfather, Dr. Prosper Liston, witnessed the attack on the 28th October 1914, which later became known as the Battle of Penang.  Wikipedia has some interesting information as well as The Straits Times Newspaper Archives website - see The Singapore Free Press, 2nd November 1914 titled "The Emden at Penang".  

Welcome!

If you'd like to know more about Emden an excellent read is Lochner's Last Gentleman of War. You can pick up a secondhand copy on-line for next to nothing. It has an account of the raid on Penang.

https://www.bookfinder.com/search/?full=on&ac=sl&st=sl&ref=bf_s2_a1_t1_1&qi=067ggxH0kfbxSvcsHaggW4UwEE8_1497963026_1:2:1

Many thanks to The Treasurer for information on Lochner's Last Gentleman of War.  I have just bought a second-hand copy of it and look forward to reading it, especially the account of the Penang War.  Many thanks.

Wes Olson published his book 'The Last Cruise of a German Raider - The destruction of SMS Emden" in 2018 by Seaforth Publishing. A 265 page account of the Emden's demise on 9 November 1914. An appendix lists the ship's company known on that date. May be worth a look. 

Ian

Many thanks to The Treasurer for information on Lochner's Last Gentleman of War.  I have just bought a second-hand copy of it and look forward to reading it, especially the account of the Penang War.  Many thanks.

Thank you Ian for this information - will certainly have a look for the book to add to my collection.  

• 1 month later...

I am also trying to find out about a sailor, my Great Uncle Friedrich Loh (umlaut on the o)

He served on the SMS Emden, he has a camera, my great aunt gave me his pictures they are awesome.  I have been diving into them deeply of late.

i know Friedrich perished on U59 in May 1917.  He became a submariner, what I don’t know is how he got from Tsingtao in 1914 to be in that Uboat.  I am literally piecing pictures together.

I am intrigued by Friedrich Lanig in the original post.  Friedrich loved in Saarbrucken, but could have been born in Heidelberg.  I do not have that information.

anyway and crew lists for Emden or these splintered groups after she was beached would be great!

Mate,

The Emden was part of the Paciffic Fleet based at Tsingtao China, when they sailed into the Paciffic at the start of the war to meet there end off the Falklands, long before the Emden had been detached for its little run on the Western side of the Paciffic to meet her end off the Cocos.

I could not find a list of Emdens survivors who made it home other then those I gave details on, so I can't confirm Fred?

I did check to see if the spelling was right but I am sorry I could not find his name in those lost with U 59

NAME AGE DIED CREW

1. ALBRECHT, OTTO, Obermaschinistenmaat, Geburte: Oldenburg, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

2. BENZ, MARKUS, Obermatrose, Geburte: Osnabrück, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

3. BÖKER, OTTO, Maschinenmaat, Geburte: Düsseldorf, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

4. BRANDT, HANS, Maschinenmaat, Geburte: Schwabe, Rendsburg, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

5. BRANDTSTÄTTER, PAUL, Obermaschinistenmaat, Geburte: Stade, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

6. BREYER, HANS, Marine-Oberingenieur, Geburte: Breslau, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

7. BRUNN, LUDWIG, Oberleutnant zur See, Geburte: Heiligenstadt, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

8. ENGEL, HUGO, Oberbootsmannmaat, Geburte: Stettin, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

9. FIRCKS, WILHELM, FREIHERR VON, °31/12/1881, Kapitänleutnant, Geburte: Berlin, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort 35 14/05/1917

10. FRIEDRICH, EDUARD, Obersteuermannmaat, Geburte: Lindenkrug, Eisenach, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

11. FRITZ, ARNOLD, Funktelegraphie-Obergast, Geburte: Hamburg, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

12. GERSTEMEIER, HEINRICH, Heizer, Geburte: Soest, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

13. HAUSMANN, ERNST, Matrose, Geburte: Süchteln, Kempen, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

14. KLUGE, FRITZ, Heizer, Geburte: Ostrowine, Öls, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

15. MAIBAUM, MAX, Obermaschinist-Anwärter, Geburte: Namslau, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

16. MAY, FRANZ, Obermaschinist-Anwärter, Geburte: Rostock, Mecklbg, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

17. MEIER, WILLY, Funktelegraphie-Gast, Geburte: Stettin, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

18. MÜLLER, GERHARD, Maschinenmaat d. Res, Geburte: Timmel, Aurich, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

19. OELTZE, RICHARD, Heizer, Geburte: Groß Ottersleben, Wanzleben, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

20. ORTMANN, JOHANN, Heizer, Geburte: Hamburg, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

21. PROBST, ADOLF, Oberheizer, Geburte: Lehe, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

22. SARNOW, PAUL, Maschinenmaat, Geburte: Berlin, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

23. SCHARF, HERMANN, Matrose, Geburte: Gießmannsdorf, Bölkenheim, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

24. SCHAUER, ALFRED, Maschinist, Geburte: Teuchern, Weißenfels, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

25. SCHERMONS, GUSTAV, Obermaschinistenmaat, Geburte: Heydekrug, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

26. SCHMIDT, CURT, Bootsmannmaat, Geburte: Aachen, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

27. SCHNEIDER, BERNHARD, Obermatrose, Geburte: Kiel-Dietrichsdorf, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

28. SCHORNSTEIN, GEORG, Oberheizer, Geburte: Neukirchen, Ziegenhain, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

29. SCHUBERT, EDUARD, Matrose, Geburte: Dresden, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

30. SCHULTZ, OTTO, Maschinenmaat d. Res, Geburte: Bergedorf, Hamburg, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

31. STREY, ERICH, Heizer, Geburte: Jädickendorf, Königsberg N.M, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

32. THIELE, HEINRICH, Maschinenanwärter, Geburte: Achterberg, Bentheim, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

33. TREDER, HEINRICH, Obermatrose, Geburte: Harburg a.d. Elbe, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

34. TULKE, FRITZ, Matrose, Geburte: Köslin, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

35. VOGELPOHL, KARL, Maschinenmaat, Geburte: Münster, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

36. VOGT, JACOB, Leutnant zur See d. Res, Geburte: Euskirchen, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

37. VÖLKNER, ALBERT, Obermatrose, Geburte: Carwen, Putzig, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

38. WEHREND, PAUL, Obermaschinistenmaat d. Res, Geburte: Hamburg, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

39. WERNER, KARL, Heizer, Geburte: Suhl, Thüringen, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

40. WILLERS, PAUL, Matrose, Geburte: Öderequart, Kehdingen, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

41. WÖHLK, HEINRICH, Maschinenmaat, Geburte: Großholz, Eckernförde, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

42. ZEBSKI, JOSEF, Heizer, Geburte: Blankenstein, Hatingen, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917 ✓

43. ZMARZLY, FRANZ, Maschinist, Geburte: Gorzow, ObSchlesien, Memorial: U-Boot-Ehrenmal Möltenort ? 14/05/1917

Read more at wrecksite: https://www.wrecksite.eu/peopleView.aspx?tSIkaJDzjSnjEzm8IUTuiQ==

Cheers

S.B

Yes but he did...and I have seen this list as well.  I am trying to find out if he could be Eduard Frederich....if he dropped Loh for some reason.   Also, it says 44 died and the list has 43 people.  I have seen the letter from the Kaiser on his being deceased from this vessel.  Below is a picture of his mother, and his many sisters, one my grandmother with his pic and the award for U59....also him in uniform, and a closeup of the award with U59 staring right at you.....  

I am surprised at the difficulty at finding his name....even in the total list of names of uboot deceased....it is part of the mystery I am digging up

86AA26BD-E198-4F2F-83D2-68E14F75F3AC.jpeg

6C00B88F-69BE-43D3-8ACA-3F8A021B4B8B.jpeg

1CA2B2B7-9BBA-48DD-8065-891E6DCC7A2A.jpeg

Friedrich is on the Geheime Marine Verlustliste as being lost with U.59 - this is being data transcribed on-line here: https://des.genealogy.net/wk1marine/search/index

Attached the pages with all the lost crew of U.59. This is a definitive list complied by the Kaiserliche Marine.

U.59 113_04.jpeg

U.59 113_05.jpeg

OMG so awesome I love you right now 😭😭

I have been really emotional lately about my Great Uncle....I first learned of him in 1980 visiting my German relatives for the first time from America (I was 12).  My Tante Ilse was really close with him, she saw me and swore I was him reincarnated😂

we look a lot alike. I learned how U59 was evading British patrols that would lie in wait around Helgoland waiting for returning U boats.  The fact they hit a German mine is so heartbreaking to me.

My family on my Moms side have been ripped to shreads by two world wars.  But Friedrich was the true hero with them, even more than my Uncle Kourt (a Tiger tank commander no less😂).

When i returned home Ilse sent me Friedrich’s photo collection,  he was an a avid photography and had (unique to the time) a portable camera.  So I have several hundred photos.  I am not sure why I did not study the photos closer, I made assumption about them that were invalid.

Then, I learned about the Emden, and it has blown my mind.  They never shared this history, only his Uboat history.

Now I want to know how the heck he got back to Germany from Tsingtao and from the Emden!

what is wild to me is that Friedrich had two photos....scratched on the back they say “Colombo” 

I assumed Columbia....now I am realizing it was Sri Lanka....is there any reason for him to ever be there but as a POW?

I will upload them tonight....

suddenly it made sense....but what a story is hidden in there 

Edited by Robert B

Dear All,

Here, for general information, is a post-Great War portrait of Leutnant zur See Francis Joseph von Hohenzollern - one of SMS Emden's junior officers...

Ltn z. S. v. Hohenzollern was most indignant that the Australians kept on firing at the wrecked and defenceless 181987907_Ltnz.S.v.Hohenzollern.jpg.e08b36f09ea0184018012df32317bd92.jpgEmden...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Have you considered the possibility that he might have transferred to the submarine service before the war and wasn‘t on SMS Emden when she was sunk? The postcard from Tsingtau, as you know is dated February 1913, have you evidence that he was still on the ship in 1914? Another possibility is that he had completed his term of engagement before the war started and was recalled as a reservist and went straight into the submarine service.

Charlie

Thank you Kimberely, what a wonderful picture and I have read about this incident the next day between the Sydney and the Emden....very interesting....hard to imagine the Emden looking like it was in torpedo launching ability 😂

Yes Charlie, this is very possible, but no sign of it....a seeming dead zone of communication during 1914.  I am studying the photographs to try and figure that out.

these two pictures from Colombo really have me wondering, unless prior to the war this was an open port to any and all. 

under the picture with the three men he has scribbled on the back “bananagroulman Colombo” (I cannot figure out what he has written there) and on the second merely (Strasse Colombo)

F8EA9975-3299-4D38-9564-B5D4AA0BF835.jpeg

E29A73EA-1CC0-459A-B2EC-EC5A11CD5C9D.jpeg

He also has a series of pictures of the SMS Taku (a Chinese vessel confiscated by the Germans in Tsingtao) which grounded itself in late 1913 and was destroyed at the end of the year, which leads me to believe he was there until at least late 1913...

Edited by Robert B

Mate,

On checking the Geheime Marine Verlustliste, it includes some I didn't have from the Emden;

Lauterbach Christian Eduard Augustus Julius    ObLtzS deR Marine    SMS Emden    1915-    (born at Rostock ) zurückgeht (going back) and zurückgehalten (held back)
Piduch Josef    Matrose Marine    SMS Emden - II Mat 1 Abt     1915-    (born at Eickel ) in Gefangenschaft (in prison) PoW 
Redlich Willi     Steuermanns Maat Marine    SMS Emden - I Mat 3 Abt     1915-    (born at Guben )  in Gefangenschaft (in prison) PoW 
Schnelle Rudolf    Vermessungs Gast Marine    SMS Emden - I Mat 3 Abt     1915-    (born at Hamburg died date?) Tot possibly around 4-15

But no idea on how they became PoW's and or deid

Cheers

S.B

Hi stevebecker, I wonder if you have seen these before but my Great Grandfather guarded SMS Emden POW's on Malta and in addition to a Tallyband, Cockade and lucky charm fashioned from a round we have a hand drawn postcard produced in the camp. I also have a photograph of an SMS Emden POW with his guards and an interesting letter to The Times from a Greek detainee refuting allegations of mistreatment by the British authorities reported in the German press. I am happy to send any of these to you should you wish to see or use them.

emden.jpg

RGA Malta.png

Edited by Gunner 87

Mate,

Nice.

But my interest at present is trying to identify those few who made there way back home after the sinking.

While those killed and taken PoW are known, those who escaped across the Indian Ocean and made it back throw Turkey are never given there great adventure are named any where?

Many as shown were lost later in the war, one at the Battle of Jutland a year later

Cheers

S.B

According to the key to the abbreviations at the beginning of Kaiserliche Marine Verlustliste Nr.34 of 6.6.15, the term "zurückgeh." beside Lauterbach's name stands for "in einem neutralen Land zurückgehalten" - detained in a neutral country.

Adrian

Mate,

Thank you I wondered what they were getting at, so included what I found on him?

The three seaman may also have been taken or died before the main body arrived in Arabia,

Laing died of illness in April in Yeman, so its possibly Schnelle died around that time and place but not mentioned by Mucke?

Cheers

S.B

Dear Steve,

Just for your information, the spelling for Mucke is probably Mücke (or Muecke), and is pronounced mook-eh.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Mate,

Yes thanks, those four men must be some of those shown amoung the 3 officers 6 PO's 41 men who escaped after the Emden's loss, to the 5 officers 7 PO's and 30 men who arrived in Istanbul in May 1915

The extra officers were picked up in Java, but the missing 11 men lost along the way just disappear?

Those four are listed in the Geheime Marine Verlustliste (the German Naval records) so how they were lost to the main body are not given by writters.

Dan Van der Vat's book of the Emden makes a few clues to possibly reasons.

S.B

Steve

Julius Lauterbach wasn‘t on the Emden when he was taken PoW, he was in command of the 17 man Prize Crew onboard the Exford. The Exford was stopped by HMS Himalaya and the crew imprisoned in Tanglin Bks, Singapore. Oblt.z.S.d.R.Lauterbach escaped during a mutiny and made it back to Germany via Indonesia, Philippines, China, USA and Norway.

Click on the names http://www.bgef.de/dieschiffe/emdeni/index.php

Charlie

Sorry to clog this thread with my inquiries.  Firstly, if anyone has a picture they looking for from the era...a specific ship or event, let me know and I will look.

I think I have pieced together that Friedrich arrived at Tsingtao via a transport convoy in late 1912.  That is when he passed through Gibraltar, Cairo. Suez, and Colombo.  I also think I have been able to figure out he returned to Germany just before the war via that Konigin Luise. (I have  learned this all through pictures 😂)

He may not have been on the wild 1914 raid circuit...but 1913 was no slow year for the Emden....Just wow!

below I have attached two photos.  One of the Emden officer Corp (as he wrote on the back) and another a random shot of some sailers....but for once he wrote some names on the back....just in case any of you out there are hunting for specific people.

cheers!

3692455F-5852-4647-8C50-3AC8E4F98588.jpeg

BBF9F7E9-56B4-4ADD-92B6-479F570564CE.jpeg

123CB79F-FC01-48E3-BF02-86664EBC3ECB.jpeg

Edited by Robert B