Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte G Wright

apt50

1 hour ago, apt50 said:

I am wondering if the reference to Newcastle upon Tyne in the announcement of his military medal is connected to Thomas Wright's marriage. If after their marriage Mrs Wright stayed in South Shields with her family, and presumably was notified as being now next of kin, then if Newcastle upon Tyne was the post town, this might be shown as Private Wright's address.

Johanna Sandilands was born in Tynemouth on 3rd December 1896. She was living with her family in Wallsend on Tyne in 1911:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/2352/images/rg14_30723_0777_03?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=1468b326f9e5183e5c1eeda1f2a9f7b1&usePUB=true&_phsrc=AHE7461&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=36781886

Her father William was born in Scotland so she may have met Thomas when he was in hospital in Glasgow?

The connection certainly explains the 'Newcastle-upon-Tyne' on his MM gazette entry as his wife resided there at the time and was now his next of kin. The newspaper reports that he returned to the front the day after his wedding (27-12-1916).

Johanna's mother was Margaret in 1901: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/7814/images/NBLRG13_4798_4799-0066?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&usePUBJs=true&pId=30732729

The 1911 census must be her father's second wife as they were only married 4 years and children 'none'.

Edited by Ivor Anderson

11 hours ago, apt50 said:

Transcribed from the Belper News:

The Belper  News    October 5th 1917

Private T WRIGHT CLOWNE

The Military Medal for gallantry on the field has been awarded to Pte. Tom Wright, Sherwood Foresters,  who prior to the war lived with his sister , Mrs Joseph Yeomans, Springvale, Clowne. Writing to his sister, he says he secured the honour during dawn while attacking a strong enemy position. During the engagement  the platoon officer was taken ill, and Pte. Wright coolly led his men across “No Man’s Land” to the new position.  An old territorial, he joined Kitchener’s Army  and went to France in March 1915. He has been twice wounded , the last occasion being in the big push of July, 1916, following which he lay in hospital in Glasgow for several weeks in a dangerous condition. He is in his twenty third year and is well known at Whitwell, having been a member of the old schoolboys’ football team there. He was married on Boxing Day 1916 and returned to France the following day. He was formerly employed at the Cresswell Colliery. His brother, Pte. Geo.Wright R. F, was for some  time in hospital at Malta with Malaria. He is now in Salonica, where he has had another severe attack. The parents live at Southwell.

darn it I just found that very same piece and was about to transcribe it! pipped at the post !

However in addition- Derbyshire advertiser -Fri 9 july 1915 shows Pte A Wright (sic) 14044 1st Sherwoods, wounded

And the Something Telegraph (I had to photo it as I couldn't email from the library and missed the rest of the paper's name)- Sat 19 aug 1916 has Wright T 14044 (Mansfield) of the Sherwoods- the listing is a bit difficult but appears to be wounded list.

Edited by Madmeg

On 29/12/2020 at 02:03, Madmeg said:

darn it I just found that very same piece and was about to transcribe it! pipped at the post !

However in addition- Derbyshire advertiser -Fri 9 july 1915 shows Pte A Wright (sic) 14044 1st Sherwoods, wounded

And the Something Telegraph (I had to photo it as I couldn't email from the library and missed the rest of the paper's name)- Sat 19 aug 1916 has Wright T 14044 (Mansfield) of the Sherwoods- the listing is a bit difficult but appears to be wounded list.

The Derby Evening Telegraph perhaps