Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte G Wright

apt50

Among the small number of WWI photographs that have have come down to me, is one of Pte G Wright, if I have read the back of the card correctly. As far as I am aware there is no family connection. If he was friend, neighbour or comrade, the information has not come down the years.

From time to time I have tried to find out more about him, concentrating on the name and number given (with some doubts about the reading of the number).  I have done my best on Find My Past, but with no result. I still only know for sure what is written on the back of the card.

I assume the photograph was taken in Derby, from the photographer’s details on the reverse. I think that study of the of the uniform  may indicate that Pte Wright has already been in a theatre of war.  However  I am certain of nothing.

I would be grateful for any suggestions as to when the photograph may have been taken, for any suggestions as to the cap badge and for any information either about Pte Wright, or where to look for it.

Front.jpg

Back.jpg

Detail1.jpg

Detail2.jpg

Hi,

2 good conduct chevrons and two wound stripes...I think...over to the experts...

Cap badge looks like the Notts and Derby Regt. (Sherwood Foresters)...searching    Number ????? There is a Thomas Wright 14044.  Disch.16.1.19 SWB List F/A/772  Address on MIC.... 54...???Model???? Village, Creswell,  Nr.Mansfield, Notts. Award rolls shows served with the 1st and 15th Bn.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Many thanks for the replies. I think it has to be T Wright. Having been taught handwriting as according to Marion Richardson, I obviously have problems with earlier styles! I think the connection must be through my grandfather who initially served in the 1st Bn Sherwood Foresters.

Odd his home town is given as Newcastle-upon-Tyne. The MIC has an odd entry that he or someone applied for the DCM in 1926

FWR has a transcribed record from 1915 that puts him with 1st SF. He appears in wounded lists in 1915, 16, 17 and 18. Enlisted 1/9/14.

Edited by Mark1959

His medal roll shows that he initially served with the 1st Bn. before moving to the 15th.

He was with the 15th when he won the MM in 1917 (Schedule no. 108851).

The LG of 2 November 1917 listed awards for August 1917 according to H. Williamson.

MM index card: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6297520

Edited by Ivor Anderson

The Model Village at Creswell (address on MIC) was an 'arts & crafts' planned development: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creswell_Model_Village

His SWB record gives his age as 24 in January 1919.

He may have been a pre war territorial soldier who volunteered for overseas service in 1914? (Worksop is near Creswell - discharged 5/8/14):

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1114/images/MIUK1914A_119331-00350?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=642609440cf0a0890c5a22019e0d8a9b&usePUB=true&_phsrc=AHE7435&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=1002101

Edited by Ivor Anderson

I find only four Thomas Wright's born 1895 living in Northumberland in the 1911 census- born and living Prudhoe, born and living Bedlington, born Backworth Earsdon Paris (sic) living Tynemouth and b Sunderland living Byker.

I'm not great on Northumberland geography but the chap living in Byker would seem to be the most likely from a quick Google maps search.

So the Byker lad is son of James born Leeds age not stated and Lavinia b Leeds aged 40. The children are listed in an unusual order. 16 year old Thomas is assisting "in business" - James is listed as a "show proprietor" which would explain the various birth places of the children.

Interestingly the SAME family appear to be listed in Birtley , Durham where father James is shown as Travelling showman cocoanut stall but I haven't found them in 1901- perhaps they missed 1901 so went twice in 1911 :-D - I guess they moved from one pitch to another overnight? The family is listed in a more sensible order in Durham and proper rather than nicknames have been used but it is the same family as far as I can see

Edit- found them in 1901 in Jarrow- parents are shown as Thomas and Levinia. There are a number of trees that apper to be for this man on ancestry (not a member so can't check them out) might be worth checking out for photos? I haven't found trees for him on Geni, familysearch or wikitree

If the family were moving about it could explain the fact he was at Cresswell in later years.

Edited by Madmeg

If he was 24 in January 1919 then he was probably born in 1894. The short service record links to this family (family first names are the same), living in Whitwell (N. of Cresswell) on the 1911 census: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/2352/images/rg14_20270_0547_03?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=6e1d99e49a392c85c7a5ce45be7b3032&usePUB=true&_phsrc=AHE7442&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=6225116

Edited by Ivor Anderson

is that the worsop family with the wonderfully named baden powell wright?

Having red up on the Cresswell village they seem more likley as the village was for colliery employees nd the fathe rf that family was a coal miner (and Thomas in 1911)

Edited by Madmeg

Thomas Hugh Wright discharged 16-01-1919 (service no. one digit out on pension record) address Cresswell: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=61588&h=600153&tid=&pid=&queryId=9baaa6376a93133e6daaa70403cbdf53&usePUB=true&_phsrc=AHE7454&_phstart=successSource

Birth registered Mansfield district Q2 1894 (may have been born Feb-March): https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=8912&h=62425008&tid=&pid=&queryId=9baaa6376a93133e6daaa70403cbdf53&usePUB=true&_phsrc=AHE7456&_phstart=successSource

1911 Census - 'Thomas H Wright' - see ancestry link two posts up:

Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 07.57.04.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

this was the one I ws looking at...

Thomas Wright

England and Wales Census, 1911

Name: Thomas Wright
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 1911
Event Place: Bolsover, Derbyshire, England, United Kingdom
County: Derbyshire
Parish: Bolsover
Sub-District: Bolsover
Sub-District Number: 3
District Number: 438
Enumeration District: 6
Registration District: Chesterfield
Marital Status: Single
Marital Status (Original): SINGLE
Industry: LANGWITH COLLIERY
Number in Family: 6
Birth Year (Estimated): 1894
Birthplace: Warsop, Nottinghamshire
Relationship to Head of Household: Son
Schedule Type: 117
Page Number: 1
Registration Number: RG14
Piece/Folio: 233
Affiliate Record Identifier: GBC/1911/RG14/21127/0233/4
Household
Role
Sex
Head
Male
Shirbrook, Derbyshire
Wife
Female
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Son
Male
Langwith, Derbyshire
Thomas Wright
Son
Male
Warsop, Nottinghamshire
Son
Male
Langwith, Derbyshire
Daughter
Female
Langwith, Derbyshire
Son
Male
Langwith, Derbyshire

Images Available

To view these images do one of the following:
  • At search.findmypast.co.uk. By clicking here you will be leaving FamilySearch.org (fees and other terms may apply).

Record Collection:

England and Wales Census, 1911

Document Information:
Record Type Household
Line Number 1
Citing this Record

"England and Wales Census, 1911," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7TY-CLT : 15 July 2019), Thomas Wright in household of Thomas Wright, Bolsover, Derbyshire, England, United Kingdom; from "1911 England and Wales census," database and images, findmypast (http://www.findmypast.com : n.d.); citing PRO RG 14, The National Archives of the UK, Kew, Surrey.

A thing to watch out for is that census ages can be a year out at the best of times depending on when the census was taken and the birth month of the person- sure you know that already of course- and assuming his age was correct on the army record- my great uncle signed up to go overseas at fifteen- except not according to the army he didn't :-)

What did he get the MM for?

The 15th battalion war diary may mention his MM: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353974

Otherwise there may be a write up in a local newspaper.

August 1917 would be the beginning of The Second Battle of Passchendaele.

He has 2 wound stripes in the photo, but no MM ribbon as yet, so it may be taken late 1916 to early 1917.

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Transcribed from the Belper News:

The Belper  News    October 5th 1917

Private T WRIGHT CLOWNE

The Military Medal for gallantry on the field has been awarded to Pte. Tom Wright, Sherwood Foresters,  who prior to the war lived with his sister , Mrs Joseph Yeomans, Springvale, Clowne. Writing to his sister, he says he secured the honour during dawn while attacking a strong enemy position. During the engagement  the platoon officer was taken ill, and Pte. Wright coolly led his men across “No Man’s Land” to the new position.  An old territorial, he joined Kitchener’s Army  and went to France in March 1915. He has been twice wounded , the last occasion being in the big push of July, 1916, following which he lay in hospital in Glasgow for several weeks in a dangerous condition. He is in his twenty third year and is well known at Whitwell, having been a member of the old schoolboys’ football team there. He was married on Boxing Day 1916 and returned to France the following day. He was formerly employed at the Cresswell Colliery. His brother, Pte. Geo.Wright R. F, was for some  time in hospital at Malta with Malaria. He is now in Salonica, where he has had another severe attack. The parents live at Southwell.

That's great! We have the 'right' family. Minnie M(iller) Wright (on 1911 census above) m. Joseph Yeomans in Worksop in 1914:

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?dbid=8913&h=32486953&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=2352

It also ties in with Thomas' territorial documents linked previously:

Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 05.27.19.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

15 Sherwood Forresters WD for August 1917. No mention of MMs. I think Thomas' MM was earned at 'The Knoll' on the 19th or 25th: 

Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 15.22.09.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 15.24.35.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

If he was wounded in July 1916, in hospital in Glasgow for weeks and then 'married on Boxing Day 1916' the photo may have been taken for his wife before he returned to the front - 'the next day' - well before he won the MM the following August.

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Hi All,

Nice to see it has turned out OK.

The signature on the Territorial Attestation Forms  for 1170 Thomas Wright has a very similar capital  "T" as on the back of the photo

On 26th March, 1916 Joseph and Minnie Miller Yeomans were living at 95 Spring Vale, Clowne. Baptism of their daughter Minnie.

Thomas Hugh Wright married Johann(e) Sandilands , South Shields, 1916 10a, 1233. and he died 1973 Torbay, Devon. 7a,2270. Johanne died 1981. Torbay. They had 5 children

Regards Barry

46 minutes ago, apt50 said:

Transcribed from the Belper News:

The Belper  News    October 5th 1917

Private T WRIGHT CLOWNE

The Military Medal for gallantry on the field has been awarded to Pte. Tom Wright, Sherwood Foresters,  who prior to the war lived with his sister , Mrs Joseph Yeomans, Springvale, Clowne. Writing to his sister, he says he secured the honour during dawn while attacking a strong enemy position. During the engagement  the platoon officer was taken ill, and Pte. Wright coolly led his men across “No Man’s Land” to the new position.  An old territorial, he joined Kitchener’s Army  and went to France in March 1915. He has been twice wounded , the last occasion being in the big push of July, 1916, following which he lay in hospital in Glasgow for several weeks in a dangerous condition. He is in his twenty third year and is well known at Whitwell, having been a member of the old schoolboys’ football team there. He was married on Boxing Day 1916 and returned to France the following day. He was formerly employed at the Cresswell Colliery. His brother, Pte. Geo.Wright R. F, was for some  time in hospital at Malta with Malaria. He is now in Salonica, where he has had another severe attack. The parents live at Southwell.

Thank you to everyone who has replied to my post. I have now happily learned more about the photograph than I ever expected.  I still don't know why my family had a copy of the photograph and can only think that it was somehow connected, as mentioned by me before, to my grandfather having been in the First Battalion for the first part of his service.

I am wondering if the reference to Newcastle upon Tyne in the announcement of his military medal is connected to Thomas Wright's marriage. If after their marriage Mrs Wright stayed in South Shields with her family, and presumably was notified as being now next of kin, then if Newcastle upon Tyne was the post town, this might be shown as Private Wright's address. This is speculation!

20 hours ago, The Inspector said:

2 good conduct chevrons and two wound stripes...I think...over to the experts...

Not an expert but is there also a metal grenade above all these and would it be a bombing badge ?

charlie

here's an expert @FROGSMILE

Edited by charlie962

His first wounding was CasList 5/7/15 report dated 18/6/15 so actual wounding perhaps a couple of weeks earlier. He was noted as 1st Bn Sherwood Foresters at that date. (as Ivor noted above)

Edited by charlie962

52 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Not an expert but is there also a metal grenade above all these and would it be a bombing badge ?

charlie

here's an expert @FROGSMILE

Hello Charlie.  It’s not an authorised format, but usually skill at arms badges were worn on the left lower sleeve and instructors badges above rank stripes.  In this case it suggests that the soldier has attended and passed a bombers (hand grenade throwing and projecting) course.

P.S. I wouldn’t say expert, just long study and associated experience.

Edited by FROGSMILE