Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Samuel Jarrold King, 6th Canadian Light TMB

Good afternoon,I'm doing my family tree at the moment...I have a young Suffolk lad in the 6th Battalion Canadian Light Trench Mortar battery.

Firstly,he has no Canadian parentage so wondered why he's in that regiment and ,sadly,he was killed 18/2/1918 and is buried at Thelus .

Name of Samuel Jarrold King

I have been trying to find out what action he was killed in.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Michelle Young changed the title to Samuel Jarrold King, 6th Canadian Light TMB

Just down as Jarrold King on CWGC

Casualty Details | CWGC

Son of Thomas and Eva F. King, of Hasketon, Woodbridge, England.

Edited by jonbem

Hi and welcome to the forum.

His service record can be seen on the Canadian National Library and Archive site.

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=501510

(Click on the Digitized Service File - pdf format option to get the whole thing)

He gave his date of birth as the 14th July 1893 when he enlisted on the 12th February 1915 and was initially part of a replacement draft to the 45th Battalion.

(As you're no doubt aware his birth was registered in the Woodbridge District in the July to September quarter, (Q3), of 1894, and the censuses have him as aged 6 in 1901 and 16 in 1911.)

Unfortunately I'm finding the new search engine on their site very difficult to work with, and so couldn't track down the War Diary for the unit. Reading the guide that is available from the library I'm not even sure there is one for the relevant period.

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/Documents/trench mortar batteries and groups.pdf

There may be something on him in newspapers local to his parents, (including a possible picture). but I'm not familar with the titles in that part of the world, whats available online and where others might be available via local archives. Obviously as he was still in the UK on the 1911 Census of England & Wales, it's almost certain he emigrated to Canada after that point. Interestingly he was still recorded as a Schoolboy on the Census - normal school leaving age then was 13.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

There appears to be a reference to him in FMP Canada Newspapers but my subscription doesn't stretch that far!

Winnipeg Free Press

Jarrold King, England; Portage la Prairie. W. GILLETT COMPANY LIMITED Dept. 1 TORONTO, CANADA. CONVENE AT 31 D...Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - March 16, 1918, Winnipeg, Manitoba 
16 March 1918 - Winnipeg Free Press - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

And Ancestry has this too which may answer your question

image.png.ee837f79dd9563533e6fd17a0f25dfd4.png

2 hours ago, TreacleMiner said:

Firstly, he has no Canadian parentage so wondered why he's in that regiment

The majority of the Canadian population in those times were born outside of the country. In 1914, in the 1st Canadian Division: 33% were Canadian-born; some 3% from the USA and other countries; and about 64% were recent emigrants from Great Britain. In some units, there were practically no native-born Canadians (derived from 'Hell in Flanders Fields' by George H. Cassar, Dundurn, Toronto, 2010).

Acknown

Michelle,Peter,George,Acknown & Jon,

Thank you so much,that answers so many questions. Fancy emigrating at such a young age.

I've been doing my tree for about 14 years and have only recently realised I had the wrong James as my great great grandfather so have been following the wrong path for years...now I have another collection of characters to learn about,Jarrold being one of them.

All the best for the New year

Edited by Guest

30 minutes ago, TreacleMiner said:

Fancy emigrating at such a young age.

If I may continue my theme, Canada and other dominions, were seen as exciting new places of opportunity for British subjects in those days. It is likely that unless he had some specific reason, Samuel was emigrating to improve his prospects, as were so many others. In those days, people made such long ship journeys via number of busy shipping lines, not least P&O.

Great Britain's declaration of war in 1914 automatically brought Canada into World War I and there was great enthusiasm there for participation. Applicants for the 1st Canadian Division of the Canadian Expeditionary Force greatly exceeded the 25,000 requested. Samuel's progress is thus fascinating, but similar to that of the thousands of others who emigrated, then volunteered.

Acknown

No Jarrold King in either the UK and Ireland, Outward Passenger Lists, 1890-1960, or the Canada, Arriving Passengers Lists, 1865-1935, for the 1911 to 1915 time period. There are, however, two Samuel King's of the right age that arrive within days of each other in April 1913. One appears to be travelling with an older brother and heading to Oakville, Manitoba, the other is travelling alone and heading to Winnipeg, Manitoba. Given that Samuel Jarrold King doesn't have an older brother according to the census records, the second one might be your man.