Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grandfathers Service, help please

derekb

Hello Everyone,

Theses are the pension details for my grandfather, Thomas Herbert Taylor, I cannot find anything else regarding his short military service (54 days), when he was discharged as being no longer fit for military service, do you think he should have qualified for inclusion on the Commonwealth War Graves site?

Regards,

Derekb

Thomas Herbert Taylor

Sapper

Card

Died 3 Oct 1918

Royal Engineers

WWI Pension Record Cards and Ledgers

1 hour ago, derekb said:

Theses are the pension details for my grandfather, Thomas Herbert Taylor, I cannot find anything else regarding his short military service (54 days), when he was discharged as being no longer fit for military service, do you think he should have qualified for inclusion on the Commonwealth War Graves site?

If he was found no longer fit as a result of a medical condition that was caused or made worse by his service and that condition was at least in part responsible for his death, then possibly.

However with no existing papers you are going to struggle to find the medical reason for his discharge unless there is something on the card itself, so even if you have a death certificate, establishing a link between cause of discharge and cause of death will be hard. The shortness of his service, unless termination of service was as a result of accidental injuries or severe infection, also makes it unlikely that it was anything other than a pre-exisiting condition that wasn't picked up at his original medical. Bear in mind that just because a Pension Ledger card exists it doesn't mean the claim was successful, so that also wouldn't support a claim for belated recognition.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

This may help the thought process-courtesy Fold3

image.png.e78216164d0e2782fdcf4b7d73e59592.png

George

The cause of death, Phthisis pulmonalis is generally a synonym for  Pulmonary  Tuberculosis. 

It depends entirely on what the cause  of his discharge was. I don't  think that despite date of discharge, date, place and cause of death are all written on one line, that the cause of discharge was the same as the cause of death.

Edit: Thanks  for the effects details  George, of course length of service in itself  is irrelevant in terms of CWGC commemoration.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

That's certainly what Terry  at IFTC project would say as well

George