Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Collectors Folder

Sjack91

Hi all

Was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for a medal folder where I could store both documents and WW1 medals. Only new to collecting medals and will be sticking to the one battalion of the Royal Scots. 

Any help with where to get a folder would be appreciated. 

regards 

Stuart

I dont think you will get anything dedicated, there are medal holders but normally the spare medals Ive got are in A4 sleeves which also contain paperwork, trouble is the weight of two discs or the points of a star end up breaking through the bottom and if you have a trio the weight can tear the eyes out of the pockets. 

closest you will come to combining papers and medals on the same page

https://www.safealbums.co.uk/pins-medals/pin-badge-albums/premium-album-for-medals

otherwise you could buy

https://www.safealbums.co.uk/pins-medals/pin-badge-albums/page-for-medals-5472

in either case top one will hold medals and a half page write up or the second one cut in half and use for two sets of medals then A4 sleeves for the paperwork.

I use a Rexel presentation folder for each soldier. Inexpensive and easy to adapt.

They hold plenty of A4 plastic pockets for documents and the medals go in tougher plastic sleeves inside one of the A4 pockets.

Rc5a0c41567da26e82732efe0fb295479.jpg

Edited by Ivor Anderson

• 2 weeks later...

What battalion are you going to collect to ?

On 06/01/2021 at 07:05, davidhughhill said:

What battalion are you going to collect to ?

16th Battalion David.

also Looking for Alexander Todd, 2nd Battalion Victory and 15 star. 

Stuart

A very good choice , I know a couple of Royal Scots collectors and one in particular is a 16th collector .

Sorry I’ve never seen the Todd medals .

davie

Edited by davidhughhill

2 minutes ago, davidhughhill said:

A very good choice , I know a couple of Royal Scots collectors and one in particular is a 16th collector .

Sorry I’ve never seen the Todd medals .

davie

Hi Davie 

I have just started and only have a few medals but got to start somewhere I take it. 

Stuart

Try and buy quality instead of quantity, I made that mistake when I first started collecting to the Royal Scots and ended up with hundreds of singles pairs and trios .

I have many plaques and pairs , including some 01/07/1916 ,  to the 16th but these are keepers .

Best of luck in you quest .

davie

Apologies for jumping on your post but I thought it worth a shot, albeit an extremely long one, and I understand you're collectors, but if by chance you come across Pte. Thomas Renner 49109 16th Royal Scots pair and SWB could I have the opportunity to purchase them or at the very least see them? I've been searching for my Great Grandfathers medals for a few years now having inherited his Royal Scots Tam and bible from my late Grandad. Cousins of my Dad believe they were given to a museum but I've been unsuccessful in trying to track them down. I've put posts up on BMF and medal tracker and saved searches on ebay and Google and I guess asking people who actually collect to the 16th is another step I can take. 

Thank you

Gaz

28 minutes ago, davidhughhill said:

Try and buy quality instead of quantity, I made that mistake when I first started collecting to the Royal Scots and ended up with hundreds of singles pairs and trios .

I have many plaques and pairs , including some 01/07/1916 ,  to the 16th but these are keepers .

Best of luck in you quest .

davie

Good idea Davie. My plan was try and buy ones that have a bit of background to them other than just being in the 16th. If they were wounded or pow then that makes it all the more interesting. Got one guy who was killed on the first day of the Somme and got another who is mentioned in the McCraes book. So doing ok at this early stage. 

9 minutes ago, Chef_Hendrix said:

Apologies for jumping on your post but I thought it worth a shot, albeit an extremely long one, and I understand you're collectors, but if by chance you come across Pte. Thomas Renner 49109 16th Royal Scots pair and SWB could I have the opportunity to purchase them or at the very least see them? I've been searching for my Great Grandfathers medals for a few years now having inherited his Royal Scots Tam and bible from my late Grandad. Cousins of my Dad believe they were given to a museum but I've been unsuccessful in trying to track them down. I've put posts up on BMF and medal tracker and saved searches on ebay and Google and I guess asking people who actually collect to the 16th is another step I can take. 

Thank you

Gaz

Hi Gaz I have never seen them but some of the bigger collectors possibly will have them. Also put searches on medal tracker and most dealers let you request first option to buy if you register an interest on a medal. Keep looking. I was looking for my Great Grandfather’s medals and in the summer found his War medal online. His star and victory are still out there but to have one of the three is priceless to me 

I’ve never came across Thomas Renners medals but I will ask a couple of collectors if they have any clues to there whereabouts.

davie 

stuart who is your First day of the Somme casualty ? Not Hugh Mclean is he ?

davie 

Thanks Stuart, hopefully they're not too attractive to collectors, Thomas joined them around Sept 1917 and was wounded the following April.

I can't imagine what that must have felt like to find your Great Grandfathers medal, fingers crossed you find the other 2. 

Davie, thank you so much, I really appreciate your help. 

Gaz

Wish I'd purchased quantity when medals literally sold by the bucket load.

Buy what you enjoy

9 hours ago, Coldstreamer said:

Wish I'd purchased quantity when medals literally sold by the bucket load.

Buy what you enjoy

So how recently was it medals were sold for pennies in junk shops or "by the bucket"?
I never recall seeing medals in charity/junk shops growing up. Perhaps it was more common in the large cities though.

Edited by Derek Black

11 hours ago, Sjack91 said:

Hi Davie 

I have just started and only have a few medals but got to start somewhere I take it. 

Stuart

I've only remembered this morning I actually have a MM and Trio to Pte. James Turner 43768 who entered France with the Scottish Rifles in 1915  and at some point was attached to the 16th RS and was awarded the Military Medal with them around the 26th August 1917 and is mentioned in their War Diary on the 7th Sept along with 10 others for "Gallantry in action just prior to and during the operations of E. Of Hargicourt on the 26th of August"

I remember I bought it a few year ago as I knew this man was there when my Great Grandfather joined and would possibly have known this man or would have heard of the actions and awarded medals.

I'll have to check, but I'm certain only the MM is to the 16th Royal Scots.

Just so I'm not totally off your original topic, I keep all my research in binders and actually take photos of the medals to place alongside the paperwork. I then either frame the medals or display in my display case, with the rest kept in a little desktop drawer I keep next to my PC.

Edited by Chef_Hendrix

Don’t know if you have this bit information about  Thomas Renner , it appears he had a gunshot wound to his foot .

I tried to attach the photo. Ut it all Chinese to me .

Edited by davidhughhill
Photo never appeared

18 minutes ago, davidhughhill said:

Don’t know if you have this bit information about  Thomas Renner , it appears he had a gunshot wound to his foot .

I tried to attach the photo. Ut it all Chinese to me .

Hi Davie,

Is that from Fold3? If so I have seen that thanks to my WFA membership. But thank you for taking the time to look. My Grandad said he had a limp most of his life and didn't have the greatest of lives, lost both his wife and son very early on due to TB. 

Edited by Chef_Hendrix

Aye , it’s from fold three .

Have you checked with local museums and the royal Scots ? if donated to the Royal Scots there is no chance of getting them back .

Davie

I asked the Royal Scots museum a few years ago and they said they didn't have them. I've tried a few others and no luck yet. I'm not sure they even went to a museum if I'm honest

I do a day a week at the RS museum, not since March , and I didn’t remember the name although I can hardly remember mine half the time .

There are some great groups in the medal collection but not George Mcraes , nobody seems to know where they are .

Davie

1 hour ago, davidhughhill said:

I do a day a week at the RS museum, not since March , and I didn’t remember the name although I can hardly remember mine half the time .

There are some great groups in the medal collection but not George Mcraes , nobody seems to know where they are .

Davie

have Hearts got any?

I have a War medal for Rhind who is mentioned in the book. 

Hearts Museum have a pair and plaque to a Cecil and his brother can’t remember the surname .

They were donated to the RS museum and loaned to the Hearts .

Cecil gets a mention as the youngest member of Mcraes  , I think there were 4/5 brothers signed up to the 16th . 

I sold most of my 16th medals to a collector from Musselburgh.

Could you give me Todd’s number please .

Davie

PS I have the Fourteen trio to the first hearts player to go to war George Sinclair a driver with the Royal Artillery .

I have an MM and pair to Neil 4th RS who was a signed Hearts player in 1920 , he played a few games then was released . 

Edited by davidhughhill
Forgot

11 hours ago, Derek Black said:

I never recall seeing medals in charity/junk shops growing up. Perhaps it was more common in the large cities though.

Still bargains to be found in charity/junk shops west of the border. 

1 hour ago, davidhughhill said:

Hearts Museum have a pair and plaque to a Cecil and his brother can’t remember the surname .

They were donated to the RS museum and loaned to the Hearts .

Cecil gets a mention as the youngest member of Mcraes  , I think there were 4/5 brothers signed up to the 16th . 

I sold most of my 16th medals to a collector from Musselburgh.

Could you give me Todd’s number please .

Davie

PS I have the Fourteen trio to the first hearts player to go to war George Sinclair a driver with the Royal Artillery .

I have an MM and pair to Neil 4th RS who was a signed Hearts player in 1920 , he played a few games then was released . 

great medals there Davie. I am not a Hearts fan (Motherwell) but always been fascinated with the Story. A guy from Musselburgh has a couple for sale just now I have been in contact with him. 

A.TODD-23505 enlisted around June 1915. Wounded at Arras May 1917.