The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Fredrick John Tilley - Royal Field Artillery Battery No.30832

Bernard

Hi, I have just joined this group and hope this is of interest. I am researching my Grandfather's WW1 activities and would be interested in the battles he fought in, thought to be at the Somme.  I hope this is of interest to you. Thank you.

Fredrick John Tilley

Born. 3rd November 1892 at Mitchum. Surrey

Died. 9th May 1986 in Leicester Royal Infirmary

Enrolled 10th November 1914

Regiment. Royal Field Artillery

Rank. Bombardier

Battery (hard to read possibly) L/74 Brigade

No.30382

Age 22

If appointed to unit on mobilisation will be

C/74 Bde R. F.

Seems to have received pay book on23rd July 1915.

Worked for Faire Bros and Co. in London as a rep. before time in army and returned to them afterwards as they opened a new factory in Leicester.

IMG_0636[286653].JPG

IMG_0639[286651].JPG

Welcome to the Forum Bernard,

Just to avoid confusion his Regimental number was 30832, as on certificate above. His date of landing in France (August 28, 1915) coincides with 74th Brigade RFA. He was also given a Meritorious Service Medal whilst serving with A/74 battery. You can currently download War Diaries for free if you register with the National Archives.

The War Diary for 74th Brigade RFA is here - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7351810

Ooops, thank you David, I note the regimental number to 30832, I cant correct my title here. l will read your link with interest and download the war diaries. 

Edited by Bernard

• Michelle Young changed the title to Fredrick John Tilley - Royal Field Artillery Battery No.30832
  • Admin

I've edited  the title to the correct service number.

Michelle 

There is usually a left hand column on the sheets marked "Place". Sometimes there can be Map References (a series of numbers and letters) and there are guides elsewhere on the Forum to help you interpret these. The Trench Maps themselves can be found here - https://maps.nls.uk/ww1/trenches/list.html 

NLS Guide here - https://maps.nls.uk/ww1/trenches/info2.html

Edited by David Porter
Additional Information

Yes thank you David seen that. I may be wrong but do we just assume he could have been in any of those places as we dont know his exact role, and there were lots of different roles in the 74th battery or did they all travel together? Would he have gone home on leave or just stayed out in Europe the whole time? I read somewhere in WW2 a lot of the records were destroyed for individual soldiers? Thanks       

Edited by Bernard

4 hours ago, Bernard said:

Yes thank you David seen that. I may be wrong but do we just assume he could have been in any of those places as we dont know his exact role, and there were lots of different roles in the 74th battery or did they all travel together? Would he have gone home on leave or just stayed out in Europe the whole time? I read somewhere in WW2 a lot of the records were destroyed for individual soldiers? Thanks       

Over 60% of the records were lost in the blitz....I can't find your man's records so they are probably amongst those that went up in smoke unfortunately. 

His medal index card shows that he entered France on 28 August 1915 as a Corporal.

His medal roll (and your MiD certificate) show that he finished WW1 as a 'Battery Quarter-Master Sergeant' (BQMS).

He was also awarded the Meritorious Service Medal in the LG of 18th January 1919 (image off Ancestry):

Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 04.53.09.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

10 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

Over 60% of the records were lost in the blitz....I can't find your man's records so they are probably amongst those that went up in smoke unfortunately. 

Thank you 

1 hour ago, Ivor Anderson said:

His medal index card shows that he entered France on 28 August 1915 as a Corporal.

His medal roll (and your MiD certificate) show that he finished WW1 as a 'Battery Quarter-Master Sergeant' (BQMS).

He was also awarded the Meritorious Service Medal in the LG of 18th January 1919 (image off Ancestry):

Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 04.53.09.png

Thank you Ivor, this is super.