Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anyone know what regiment this is?

BearCollo

I’m helping my wife trace her family, she’s been given the attached picture and told it’s her great grandfather. However he served in the Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby’s).

The cap and lapel badges don’t appear match the Sherwood Foresters and his dress would suggest maybe artillery or Cavalry?

Any ideas?

Thanks

EC6C2354-2E6F-4683-97EE-0DC8787DEA58.jpeg

37 minutes ago, BearCollo said:

However he served in the Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby’s).

What do you have that says he served in the Notts & Derby ?

Craig

Is it just me or, with the crown, are we looking at RASC post Great War?

8 minutes ago, johntanner said:

Is it just me or, with the crown, are we looking at RASC post Great War?

15 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

What do you have that says he served in the Notts & Derby ?

Craig

It gets a little bit confusing! I’ll try to explain!!

We(myself and the wife) think the person in the picture is John Edwin Bowler, he was born  in 1901 so would have been too young to serve in the Great War unless he lied about his age, so that being a post war picture of him would make sense!

The wife’s family think it’s John Edward Bowler (Edwins Father). He served in the Notts and Derby’s, we’ve got his service papers that list his wife and home address so we’re satisfied that’s right; he’d have been in his late 30s so the picture seems a little bit too fresh faced! 

1 minute ago, BearCollo said:

It gets a little bit confusing! I’ll try to explain!!

We(myself and the wife) think the person in the picture is John Edwin Bowler, he was born  in 1901 so would have been too young to serve in the Great War unless he lied about his age, so that being a post war picture of him would make sense!

The wife’s family think it’s John Edward Bowler (Edwins Father). He served in the Notts and Derby’s, we’ve got his service papers that list his wife and home address so we’re satisfied that’s right; he’d have been in his late 30s so the picture seems a little bit too fresh faced! 

I think the younger man would certainly fit. I'd not think he's a man in his 30's.

Where was he from ?

Craig

21 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

I think the younger man would certainly fit. I'd not think he's a man in his 30's.

Where was he from ?

Craig

15 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

What was his father's name ?

Craig

He was from Ashbourne in Derbyshire, his dad was John Edward Bowler who was from Ashbourne too

From the medal rolls:

John E Bowler 3793 (later 306167) Private in the Notts and Derby. Does qualify for '15 Star

John E Bowler 14156 Private in the Notts and Derby. Then Labour Corps 640598

There's a John G Bowler as well. Same regiment

ASC is also hopeful:

Private Bowler, John of the Army Service Corps Regiment No: M2/168138

M2 prefix is Electrician

Alternatively Bowler, John of the Army Service Corps Regiment No: T4/071295

T4 prefix is Horse Transport

Hope this helps?

Edited by Polar Bear
superfluous word

King's Dragoon Guards I think.  It was the badge temporarily adopted to replace the Germanic Eagle at the end of WW1.

1st_kings_dragoon_guards_badge1.jpg

KDG collars.jpg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Only if he was in KDG.  The insignia is definitive in this case. He's also wearing the slip on woven shoulder title stitched to his shoulder strap.

Edited by FROGSMILE

50 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Only if he was in KDG.  The insignia is definitive in this case. He's also wearing the slip on woven shoulder title stitched to his shoulder strap.

Another record shows he was - likely from June 21 to November 22.
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FTANK%2F083%2F027&parentid=GBM%2FTANK%2F077019

Craig

3 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FTANK%2F083%2F027&parentid=GBM%2FTANK%2F077019

Craig

I reckon you've got him then Craig.  Good spot.  I was only so sure about the insignia because I'm looking on my laptop rather than phone for a change.

Edited by FROGSMILE

5 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I reckon you've got him then Craig.  Good spot.  I was only so sure about the insignia because I'm looking on my laptop rather than phone for a change.

5 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

Craig

6 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

6 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

I suspect it's this man - Sherwoods, Hussars and RTC.  From Ashbourne, son of Jack. Born May 1901

Craig

The links not working for me but do I take it he joined up with the foresters then transferred to the south notts hussars then the KDG?

I really appreciate you taking the time with this chaps especially on Christmas Day!

19 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Post-war picture, too, I'd say. Collar dogs, se of the cap, etc, all looks post-war.

20 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

M2 prefix is Electrician

Just to point out M2 does not specify Electrician, M2 was issued to all trades of Mechanical transport from November 1914 to 1916. 

51 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Post-war picture, too, I'd say. Collar dogs, se of the cap, etc, all looks post-war.

Yes, the image does have that look, I agree Steven, especially with the two lanyards.  Collar badges are not such a good indicator with cavalry though, as many of them wore collar badges when out of the line, but if I recall correctly the star shaped badge wasn’t adopted until the end of the war, when sensitivities over casualties caused by the nation of the regiment’s honorary colonel-in-chief were particularly raw.

Edited by FROGSMILE

It’s interesting that as well as KDG he also served with the 14th/20th Hussars (twice) and the 15th/19th Hussars, seemingly finishing his service with the former.  Quite a mixed career.

09F34143-6966-42F6-8D41-48523E991323.jpeg

B04F3E49-EFAB-4945-A901-AB7E8C87997F.jpeg

On 27/12/2020 at 08:46, FROGSMILE said:

It’s interesting that as well as KDG he also served with the 14th/20th Hussars (twice) and the 15th/19th Hussars, seemingly finishing his service with the former.  Quite a mixed career.

But, as you know, not that uncommon in cavalry units, where transfer between regiments on posting to, or returning from, India was quite the norm. Offhand I can't recall the details but I read somewhere that a (Victorina, admittedly) cavalryman transferred something like nineteen times in order to extend service in India (which he obviously liked - money, less work, lots of bearers, etc, to do the scrubbing and cleaning, and so on).

1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

But, as you know, not that uncommon in cavalry units, where transfer between regiments on posting to, or returning from, India was quite the norm. Offhand I can't recall the details but I read somewhere that a (Victorina, admittedly) cavalryman transferred something like nineteen times in order to extend service in India (which he obviously liked - money, less work, lots of bearers, etc, to do the scrubbing and cleaning, and so on).

Yes I realise it wasn’t unusual Steven.  Just interesting in this case for someone who seemingly only joined in the first place because of the war.  He seems perhaps to have taken to the life.