Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

31462 Sjt William Henry Cook , 136 3rd County Palatine , Heavy Battery Royal Garrison Artillery M M

Scottman

I  am  researching    Sjt   William  Henry   Cook   who  was   awarded  the  Military  Medal    with  the  136 Heavy   Battery     Royal   Garrison   Artillery   on  the   18th  July   1917  ,   I  have  searched   a  lot  of  websites   but  am   having  difficulty   in  finding   where   his  home town   was  ,  serving    with   the  3rd  County   Palatine   Artillery    I  am  sure  he was   from  the  North  West   of  England,    any  help  if  finding   any  information     on   him    would  be  very     much   appreciated    Alan

42 minutes ago, Scottman said:

18th  July   1917 

That is the Gazette date. Have you found the actual date for which it was awarded? Probably some 3 months earlier ?

I say this because a Daily CasList listing is normally some 4 weeks after the actual wounding and thus it is probably not the same event as his MM earning.

charlie

I note several men of 136 HBty admitted 18 GH at end of June 1916

Edited by charlie962

Just to make your research more difficult I note that another 136 Heavy Bty man whose MM appears in same Gazette, John Scholes, has these attachments at the time although not reflected on his MM card, which card seems similar to Cook's.  So Scholes was actually at 1st Corps Siege Park or even Canadian Corps Siege Park when he earned his MM and not 136 HBty.

EDITED- I've confused my dates. Scholes is in November Gazette

GWF 136HBtyRGA ScholesJ svcExtract.JPG

Edited by charlie962

His MM Index Card (currently free) off TNA: WO-372-23-93304

Bate & Williamson state that the 18 July 1917 Gazette (30188) was for 9 April to 6 June 1917, so search the War Diary April-July 1917.

Think this is 136 HB RGA: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/076978de606640ed8879f2daf423c1c6

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 17.42.41.jpg

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Many  thanks   Charlie 962   and  Ivor   for  all  your   help   ,     I  will  seach   the   war  diary   ,   and  hopefully   it  will  help  me  in  my   research   Alan