The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Captain Walter Brian Flook OBE (died 1925)

Stephen Callaghan

I am interested in pictures of the graves of Captain Eric Noel Flook (died 1968) and his brother Captain Walter Brian Flook OBE (died 1925).

Many thanks,

Stephen

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I recently found this in the 'Gloucester Citizen' 16 March 1925 on Captain Walter Brian Flook and would be interested in any information on him.

Any information on his time in Ireland would be useful.

Regards Mark

post-14045-0-55987900-1379504494_thumb.j

• 4 years later...

I have been researching Walter Brian Flook as he got a Military OBE in 1922 in Ireland. Does anyone know what the OBE was for?

Edited by corisande

44 minutes ago, corisande said:

I have been researching Walter Brian Flook as he got a Military OBE in 1922 in Ireland. Does anyone know what the OBE was for?

RE Walter Brian Flook

He is listed in the 1919 Birthday honours list as having received the OBE For valuable service rendered in connection with military operations in France 

HERE

Edit shown on the birthday honours list as · Capt. Walter Bryan Flook, Royal Army Service Corps ?

Ray

Edited by RaySearching

Thanks very much for that.

I think what happened therefore is that he received the actual award in Ireland in 1922. They did not put the medals in the post for Ireland, so any award had to be picked up in person at Dublin Castle. In his case ans in the case of some others , they must have been picking up awards in Ireland that were actually earned elsewhere.

As you will know his medal index card has the address Royal Barracks Dublin 9/5/21

He also has a MID L/G 24th/12/17

Ray

Yes, the thing that makes the MBE/OBE awards in Ireland in 1922 is that I can now see that it is a mix of new awards for work in Ireland during the War of Independence , and the presentation of medals won some years previously, but not actually presented.

The Irish MBE citations give sometimes private (usually) Dublin addresses for the men, or sometimes, as in the case of Flook, a military address because he was still serving

My task now is to separate the group who won them in Ireland