Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

18 PDR shell markings

depaor01

Hi all,

This is one item in a collection of artifacts I've been asked to get more info on by a local history society who have acquired some WW1 (and non WW1) items so I'll be posting them separately in various areas of the forum.

Starter for ten, an 18 Pounder shell. Any help with the markings would be great.

Thanks,

Dave

IMG_3777.JPG

A MkII 18 Pounder cartridge case passed for inspection on 1st October 1917. I’ve found a reference elsewhere that the conjoined CCS logo is for the Canadian Cartridge Company of Hamilton, Ontario.

CF = loaded with a full charge. PSU is a batch code.

No doubt others will add further details as there are various other inspection / testing stamps. A close up of the markings on the primer would also be of help.

On 22/12/2020 at 13:56, peregrinvs said:

A MkII 18 Pounder cartridge case passed for inspection on 1st October 1917. I’ve found a reference elsewhere that the conjoined CCS logo is for the Canadian Cartridge Company of Hamilton, Ontario.

CF = loaded with a full charge. PSU is a batch code.

No doubt others will add further details as there are various other inspection / testing stamps. A close up of the markings on the primer would also be of help.

Thanks Peregrinvs. I've not got access to the piece to photograph again, but enough useful info there to fill in the blanks

Many thanks.

Dave