Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

seeking info on R.C Stevenson (SAS) territorial army

Sophmaid

Hi everyone - 

Seeking information about my Grandpa R.C Stevenson  born 1921 

I know he served in the SAS but literally don't know anything about his army career as he wasn't allowed to talk about it or just didn't. He died in 2016, I wish I had a chance to ask him all the questions i have now; im 29 and researching my family tree ( on behalf of my mother - who also doesn't know much about her father either)  

What i do know is from his photos of the war  and places he went. ( he loved to take photos) happy to share.

He was in the 2nd Battalion  'Beds and Herts'  regt  Gravesend  in 1938 

I have one regiment number 5949961

possibly in the parachute regt?? unsure of his other regiment numbers or anything I haven't been able to find them. 

Any help would be amazing.

Regards Sophie 

• Admin

This is out of the remit for this particular forum. I'd suggest ww2talk.com 

Michelle 

8 hours ago, Sophmaid said:

Hi everyone - 

I know he served in the SAS but literally don't know anything about his army career as he wasn't allowed to talk about it or just didn't. He died in 2016, I wish I had a chance to ask him all the questions i have now; im 29 and researching my family tree ( on behalf of my mother - who also doesn't know much about her father either)  

What i do know is from his photos of the war  and places he went. ( he loved to take photos) happy to share.

He was in the 2nd Battalion  'Beds and Herts'  regt  Gravesend  in 1938 

I have one regiment number 5949961

possibly in the parachute regt?? unsure of his other regiment numbers or anything I haven't been able to find them. 

Any help would be amazing.

Regards Sophie 

Sophie, just so you understand, the “Great War” title of this forum is used because that was the original term used for the First World War (aka WW1) of 1914 to 1918.  

For your inquiry you need to do as Michelle suggested and make a similar post in the WW2 forum at this link: http://ww2talk.com/index.php?categories/main-ww2-talk-forum.157/

Perhaps you can copy and paste your inquiry to save you typing it again.  Good luck.

Edited by FROGSMILE

10 hours ago, Sophmaid said:

And of course you could apply for his service records https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

5949961 did come from a number block allocated to the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment.

Good luck with your search. Presumably your great grand-father may have served in the Great War, so don't forget to come back with your questions when you get to that stage of your family tree.

Cheers

Peter

• Michelle Young locked this topic