Jump to content
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

East Yorkshire Regiment WW1


Mike12216
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello, 

 

I'm looking for any information about my gt grandfather his details are as follows... 

 

Cpl George Pinder 12216 

East Yorkshire Regiment 

7th Battalion. 

(died in Hull, East Yorkshire 1957)

 

Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

I know he was awarded the Military Medal (for Bravery in the field). 

The medal has since gone to a collector, who, we do not know....if there's a chance of getting it back, well, that would be amazing! 

The only things I have currently are his birth certificate, a photo (1940/50s) and his EYR cap badge. 

 

Hope to hear from someone soon, 

Many thanks. 

Mike Pinder. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There do not appear to be any surviving service records for George - sadly this is the norm with many being destroyed when German bombs hit the warehouse where Other Ranks records were stored in WW2.

 

His Medal Index Card, (literally that, an index card raised in the records office in late 1918 to help track the issue of medals) shows that he first landed in France on the 13th July 1915 as a Private serving with the East Yorkshire Regiment. Our parent site, the Long, Long Trail, shows the 7th Battalion as landing at Le Havre on the 14th, but there can well be the odd day or two discrepancy. The 14th for example may have been the day the Battalion was formally taken on to the strength of the British Expeditionary Force.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/east-yorkshire-regiment/

 

As a result of that date of landing he was entitled to the 1914/15 Star, as well as the Victory Medal and the British War Medal. He finished the war as a Sergeant and was discharged to Army Reserve Class "Z" - a temporary reserve in case the Armistice negotiations broke down and hostilites resumed. Following the signing of the peace treaty he would have been discharged completely.

 

The Service Medal Roll for his Victory Medal and British War Medal can be viewed on Ancestry only. If the records clerk completing the roll followed the standing instruction, (this varies widely), then it should show all the units he served with overseas. Increasingly from the summer of 1916 onwards if a man was wounded \ accidentally injured or suffered health issues that required him to be medically evacuated back as far as the coast or even the UK, the odds were against him returning to his original unit.

 

War Diaries can currently be downloaded for free from the National Archive - you just need to set up an account, (no financial details needed) and even that can be done as part of placing your first order. It may not even mention the award of his Military Medal, but will give you some idea of where they were and what they were up to. Assuming he stayed with them for the whole war, the 7th Battalion War Diaries are available here:-

July 1915 to March 1916: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053807

April 1916 to June 1916: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053808

July 1916 to September 1916: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053809

October 1916 to December 1916: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053810

January 1917 to May 1917: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053811

June 1917 to July 1917: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053812

August 1917 to December 1917: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053813

January 1918 to May 1918: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053814

June 1918 to September 1918: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053815

October 1918 to April 1919: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053816

 

Looking for him on the Absent Voters Rolls for 1918 & 1919 may also help confirm he finished the war with the 7th Battalion - see https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/finding-soldiers-through-the-1918-absent-voters-lists/

 

It looks like his Military Medal was awarded while a Corporal with the 7th Battalion. I am only viewing it in the watermarked pre-view version available on the National Archive but looks like the formal award appears in the edition of the London Gazette dated 17th September 1917.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6207700

 

Unfortunately the citations for Military Medals were not one of the document types chosen by the Army for preservation by the National Archive and almost never appear in the London Gazette. Thus he his is one of a long list of names that appears, only adding that his home town was Hull.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30287/supplement/9610/data.pdf

The recommendation is to check out local papers - sometimes if a man is aware of the details he will pass them on to relatives who in turn may choose to pass it on to the local press. There was no formal notification process from the War Ministry to the local press beyond a list of names.

 

3 hours ago, Mike12216 said:

The medal has since gone to a collector, who, we do not know....if there's a chance of getting it back, well, that would be amazing! 

It's not my area of interest but I note from what others have written on the forum to those looking to be reunited with family medals, it's worth trying the British Medal Forum https://britishmedalforum.com/ucp.php?mode=login

and also setting up a search on e-Bay so you're alerted if the medals come up for sale there.

 

Hope that helps,

 

Peter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Excellent advice from Peter. I have little to add apart from a few items.

Unusally the 7th EYR's war diary includes the citation for his MM. What is immediatly apparent is that he was originally recommended for the higher award of the Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM). Image courtesy of the National Archives

pinder.jpg.029b5f5cc1885c066a7ff0f8f595ea18.jpg

MG = Machine Gun. Roeux is a few kilometres east of Arras

 

This entry on the 7th Aug shows the MM had been decided upon

pinder2.jpg.835f8daebbc382376739717f3476482c.jpg

 

The diary contains very detailed descriptions of the battalions actions during this raid. Follow the link provided by Peter.

 

He appears on a War Office "wounded" list published 2/3/1916 - serving with the 7th EYR. No further details are shown. This list appears in the Hull Daily Mail on 14/3/16. Courtesy of the British Newspaper Archive

pinder4.jpg.e15d90618018785e3f015aebff03d18b.jpg

 

Clearly a very brave man!

Can I suggest you give us the details on his birth certifcate. Parents names and dob. We can then see if there is anything further to be obtained. 

Edited by Mark1959
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I often wonder and such a lot of info given here. Current situation - maybe unwell?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/12/2020 at 23:36, PRC said:

There do not appear to be any surviving service records for George - sadly this is the norm with many being destroyed when German bombs hit the warehouse where Other Ranks records were stored in WW2.

 

His Medal Index Card, (literally that, an index card raised in the records office in late 1918 to help track the issue of medals) shows that he first landed in France on the 13th July 1915 as a Private serving with the East Yorkshire Regiment. Our parent site, the Long, Long Trail, shows the 7th Battalion as landing at Le Havre on the 14th, but there can well be the odd day or two discrepancy. The 14th for example may have been the day the Battalion was formally taken on to the strength of the British Expeditionary Force.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/east-yorkshire-regiment/

 

As a result of that date of landing he was entitled to the 1914/15 Star, as well as the Victory Medal and the British War Medal. He finished the war as a Sergeant and was discharged to Army Reserve Class "Z" - a temporary reserve in case the Armistice negotiations broke down and hostilites resumed. Following the signing of the peace treaty he would have been discharged completely.

 

The Service Medal Roll for his Victory Medal and British War Medal can be viewed on Ancestry only. If the records clerk completing the roll followed the standing instruction, (this varies widely), then it should show all the units he served with overseas. Increasingly from the summer of 1916 onwards if a man was wounded \ accidentally injured or suffered health issues that required him to be medically evacuated back as far as the coast or even the UK, the odds were against him returning to his original unit.

 

War Diaries can currently be downloaded for free from the National Archive - you just need to set up an account, (no financial details needed) and even that can be done as part of placing your first order. It may not even mention the award of his Military Medal, but will give you some idea of where they were and what they were up to. Assuming he stayed with them for the whole war, the 7th Battalion War Diaries are available here:-

July 1915 to March 1916: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053807

April 1916 to June 1916: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053808

July 1916 to September 1916: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053809

October 1916 to December 1916: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053810

January 1917 to May 1917: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053811

June 1917 to July 1917: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053812

August 1917 to December 1917: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053813

January 1918 to May 1918: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053814

June 1918 to September 1918: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053815

October 1918 to April 1919: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053816

 

Looking for him on the Absent Voters Rolls for 1918 & 1919 may also help confirm he finished the war with the 7th Battalion - see https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/finding-soldiers-through-the-1918-absent-voters-lists/

 

It looks like his Military Medal was awarded while a Corporal with the 7th Battalion. I am only viewing it in the watermarked pre-view version available on the National Archive but looks like the formal award appears in the edition of the London Gazette dated 17th September 1917.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6207700

 

Unfortunately the citations for Military Medals were not one of the document types chosen by the Army for preservation by the National Archive and almost never appear in the London Gazette. Thus he his is one of a long list of names that appears, only adding that his home town was Hull.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30287/supplement/9610/data.pdf

The recommendation is to check out local papers - sometimes if a man is aware of the details he will pass them on to relatives who in turn may choose to pass it on to the local press. There was no formal notification process from the War Ministry to the local press beyond a list of names.

 

It's not my area of interest but I note from what others have written on the forum to those looking to be reunited with family medals, it's worth trying the British Medal Forum https://britishmedalforum.com/ucp.php?mode=login

and also setting up a search on e-Bay so you're alerted if the medals come up for sale there.

 

Hope that helps,

 

Peter

 

Thank you so much for all this information, there's so much new material we never knew of! 

I will certainly be checking through all the links you have sent! 

 

Many thanks, 

Mike Pinder 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/12/2020 at 19:44, Mark1959 said:

Wonder why enquirer’s ask a question and are not interested in the answer?

Hi Mark1959, definitely interested. And very appreciativee of the information that has been submitted. Just been busy with work with the run up to Christmas. I'm having a couple of weekends off in the next few weeks to go through all the information and links that have been forwarded, making a visit to the museum in York too. 

Again, many thanks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can also leave a message on:

 

his records on ancestry (top R/H side of page) a Pay site.

findagrave website (free to register)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, travers61 said:

You can also leave a message on:

 

his records on ancestry (top R/H side of page) a Pay site.

findagrave website (free to register)

Hi Travers61, my grandfather died 1958, I'm going through all the links I've been sent to find out where he was posted during the war in the next couple of weeks! All we've ever known was that he was rewarded with the military medal, for taking out two of the big gun posts out, this is probably when he got wounded. I've been passed so much info in the past couple of weeks that I'm going to sort and catalogue all snippets of info!! 

Thankful to everyone that has contributed. 

Mike Pinder 

Gt Grandson of Cpl George Pinder 12216. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/01/2021 at 00:14, Mike12216 said:

Hi Travers61, my grandfather died 1958, I'm going through all the links I've been sent to find out where he was posted during the war in the next couple of weeks! All we've ever known was that he was rewarded with the military medal, for taking out two of the big gun posts out, this is probably when he got wounded. I've been passed so much info in the past couple of weeks that I'm going to sort and catalogue all snippets of info!! 

Thankful to everyone that has contributed. 

Mike Pinder 

Gt Grandson of Cpl George Pinder 12216. 

 

Really hope you can locate the medals.

 

If you need any help with finding the ancestry "comment box' to use let me know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...