Remembered Today:

Artillery Row

kelly

Hello, 

Hope this helps:

artyrow.jpg.4a0d31bdf0fd2836898e15a0c94b43af.jpg

artyrow2.jpg.8c744b4243e6ea3ca0165f8d9f1763b3.jpg

Its starting point: 40°04'49.87" 26°11'33.91"

Can be reached via Pink Farm Cemetery-Artillery Road. A demanding walk but well worth it.

Edited by emrezmen

Hi and thanks for your help, although I can't be sure I seem to think artillery Road and artillery row where almost opposite each other, am I correct

• 1 year later...

Was the 14th Siege Artillery Battery located at Artillery Road? 

I share a Great Great Great Grandfather with Gunner Richard Coupe (s/n 49569) who was KIA on 4 June 1915 at Gallipoli. He was reportedly assigned to the 14th Siege Artillery Battery.

The Royal War Graves Commision says he is buried (or have a marker) at the Skew Bridge cemetery in Gallipoli (Special Memorial B 8).

Interestingly note, my Great Uncle also named Richard Coupe (s/n 2525) was KIA at the Somme on 15 July 1916....  I have researched and visited the battlefield where he was killed (High Wood) extensively with my brother also named Richard Coupe.

Any information on the 14th Siege Artillery Battery's activities on 4 June 1915 would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Will Coupe

Will,

A volume which you should get hold of is Lt-Col R M Johnson's '29th Divisional Artillery War Record & Honours Book 1915-1918' as your Great Great Great Grandfather Gunner Richard Coupe is listed therein – see p. 94. It will also provide a lot of background information on the battery and the 29th Div's artillery.

You may also wish to check out 'Ancestry.co.uk' for access to the Battery's War Diary. I attach herewith a couple of pages
One covers the date death, except that you will note it has the death of a “gunner” as 3rd June, not 4th
The second page is a sketch map giving the 1st & 2nd positions of the battery, but my quick glance [please excuse me but it's very late here right now] has not been able to pin point a date for the change over from one to the other.
However, as it is thought that he was buried in Skew Bridge Cemetery, then that seems to indicate that the battery was at position 1 when he died.

I hope that this is of some help
regards
Michael

image.png.bc7ed20dc355906815f9e39e3783ef6d.png

image.png.86ee5b3252a3b3c4af5dabfaac5433d1.png

9 minutes ago, michaeldr said:

The second page is a sketch map giving the 1st & 2nd positions of the battery, but my quick glance [please excuse me but it's very late here right now] has not been able to pin point a date for the change over from one to the other.
However, as it is thought that he was buried in Skew Bridge Cemetery, then that seems to indicate that the battery was at position 1 when he died.

Just had another read through and I think that the Battery moved position on 11th June - see the last lines on the WD page above

so I would go with the 1st position as marked on the map above, which is also an obvious position for someone dying there to be buried in Skew Bridge Cemetery

Michael, thank you for the information, I have ordered the book.  In his official orders there are memos sent back and forth as to the correct date of his death (no doubt due to this War Diary entry).  The final outcome of the memos in his records is that he was killed on the 4th of June 1915.  Thank you again for the information.

12 hours ago, wkcoupe said:

The final outcome of the memos in his records is that he was killed on the 4th of June 1915. 

For the family's sake I'm glad that has been sorted out

As you will see from Lt-Col Johnson's book (p.170) the 6-inch howitzers of the 14th Siege Batty. had a busy time on that day, firing 151 Common Shell and 132 H.E.

[Previously in the 2nd half of May, the shell shortage on Gallipoli had reduced them to 2 rounds per gun per day]