Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tunnelling Sapper Cause of Death?

Stephen Dalton

Hi, a relative novice at this. I am looking for a bit of help decrypting of handwriting please!  Currently researching Spr Alfred Albert Woods 197976 who was a member of 173rd Tunnelling Company R.E. The pension record card indicates he died of cardiac failure (presumably a heart attack), next bit is illegible and then it says while on active service. He died in Leicester so he has been sent home at some point Any advice on the letters and the illegible bit gratefully received! 

Woods, Alfred Albert (197976) - Page 1.pdf

Tricky one! I thought it was “Cardiac failure due to VDH ( Valvular disease of the heart) Commensal or commensurate whilst on active service. 

Best I could do.🙂

Stephen

I have the WDs of 173 TC (WO 95/335/5 and 335/6).

From August 1917 there are Field Returns and other lists that name other ranks, not only RE but attached Infantry as well. There are no Weekly Mining Reports and Field Returns before August 1917 however so not much help there. Have you got the Death Certificate.

Brian.

Is it possible this chap contracted scarlet fever as a child ? His DOB would fit with it being widespread in the 1880's

I would certainly agree with Toontraveller 

Many thanks for the replies and suggestions, its a shame about those war diaries not stretching back a few more months brianmorris547!  I'll look out the D.Cert and see what that tells me.