Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

110 Battalion Canadian Mounted Rifles 4th CMR { D COY }

alan jones

Hello , just been doing a bit of family history and found John Wesley Stewart awarded DCM . He received a shrapnel wound to his right hip on 6/9/1918 I would love to know where his unit was on that day if possible please . He was sent back to England to 3 war hospitals and survived .

Regards 

Alan

Hi Alan,

I assume this is him? Have you tried the 4th CMR Battalion War Diary?  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4557023

No doubt you have a copy of these:

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=252772

Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 16.38.59.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional information

Hi Alan

Looking at the service papers, I think the date of wounding was 29/08/1918 (page 21 of the service record posted by Ivor above). I think the 6th/7th Sept 1918 was the date of the report and the time he was 'taken off strength 4th CMR'.

Hope this helps and is not erroneous. 

Kind Regards

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks , the "rumour" of his family suggests that King George actually presented him with his DCM , what chance do you think this has ?

Regards

Alan

Investitures by King George V usually concentrated on presenting VCs, DSOs and MCs due to the numbers involved, but newspaper reports also record presentations of DCMs and MMs at times. My impression is that these were to small groups of selected individuals. So, it is possible that his was presented personally by the King. His DCM was first listed in the LG on 18 February 1919. The citation appeared on 10 January 1920. His DCM Index Card off Ancestry:

Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 16.58.30.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson