Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ledegem 14th October 1918

I am researching the loss of an Armstrong Whitworth FK8 aircraft from RAF 82 Squadron on 14th October 1918.  The plane crashed just north of  Ledegem and both crew members were killed.  I believe the plane was flying in support of the clearance of Ledegem.  I attach a map showing the approximate location (red dot) of the original crash-site.  The crew members were buried by the wreck and their bodies were recovered in 1920 and reburied in a military cemetery nearby.  I am interested in any information that may have been gathered by ground forces or local residents at the time relating to the crash or any references in local history museums, etc.  Thanks.

Where graves found & Owl Barns.jpg

Graves21.jpg

Thank you for this information.  I researched the photo and the graves last month and found an official map reference for the crash site.  I am also in contact with a relative of Capt Flowers who has the windscreen from the FK8.  I have not been able to confirm how the aircraft as shot down.  I cannot find a record of the plane being shot down in aerial combat either in RAF or German records. No German pilot claimed the 'kill'.  Maybe it was brought down by ground fire during the retaking of Ledegem whilst in close support of the ground forces.  Do you have proof that the plane was an aerial combat victim?  Thanks, Philip