Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bombardier Crescens Charles Stuckfield RGA SR/7492, 282492

Fletch1947

Hi.  I'm trying to find any details of my grandfather's Army career in the RGA before & during WW1.  I've found his Medal Index Card but have drawn a blank elsewhere, other than the 1911 Census which puts him in Sandown, IoW.  I would particularly like to know if he could have been posted to Kingston Jamaica B.W.I. around 1909.  Any information would be much appreciated.

Hi ?,

Your grandfathers number indicates someone who enlisted as a Special Reservist on a 1 year term (later changed to duration of war) open to time expired ex gunners. This would have been at the end of Nov. 1915, to arrive at No. 1 Depot, Fort Burgoyne, Dover, at the beginning of Dec. 1915. As the earlier regular terms would have been for 12 years, to include time actually serving and time in reserve, he must enlisted before Aug. 1902. It is quite possible he served in Jamaica while serving in 66 Coy (Company) in 1909 if he was posted there.

Unfortunately I cannot find anything specific for either his earlier service, or for the great war. Other suggestions for finding a unit may be to consult any birth or marriage certificates for the period and hope something is mentioned, which admittedly is rather slim, checking the absent voters list for where he was living near the end of the war, or searching through the local newspapers for his home town. I would also check whether anyone else in the family may hold photos/correspondence from that time which may give you some further clues.

Kevin

7 hours ago, Fletch1947 said:

Hi.  I'm trying to find any details of my grandfather's Army career in the RGA before & during WW1.  I've found his Medal Index Card but have drawn a blank elsewhere, other than the 1911 Census which puts him in Sandown, IoW.  I would particularly like to know if he could have been posted to Kingston Jamaica B.W.I. around 1909.  Any information would be much appreciated.

I've been looking at this too, and it may be a little tricky due to the spellings of both surname and Christian names....I'm finding three people who are close fits dependent on spelling...could I ask if you are absolutely certain that the man in the IOW census is your Grandfather?

Possible inks..

Baptism 1 January 1878 Crick, Northampton

1891 with family in Aston, Warwickshire

Marriage reg. 1905 in Brighton

Crescens C Stuchfield

Caroline Mary Andrews

1907 Eldest son born Newhaven, Sussex with family in 1911

October 1911 daughter Ciceline Caroline, born I.O.W. 

Later family in Yorkshire.

1878 Baptism STUCHFIELD.png

Edited by BarbaraG

5 hours ago, BarbaraG said:

Possible inks..

Baptism 1 January 1878 Crick, Northampton

1891 with family in Aston, Warwickshire

Marriage reg. 1905 in Brighton

Crescens C Stuchfield

Caroline Mary Andrews

1907 Eldest son born Newhaven, Sussex with family in 1911

October 1911 daughter Ciceline Caroline, born I.O.W. 

Later family in Yorkshire.

1878 Baptism STUCHFIELD.png

Dear Barbara.  Many thanks for your efforts.  I can confirm all your details are correct. The discharge voucher was new to me, so thanks for that, but I'm no nearer finding out where he was before and after 1911.  Part of the interest is because we have a probable DNA link to Jamaica and it would be satisfying to pin it down.  Best Wishes, David.

5 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

I've been looking at this too, and it may be a little tricky due to the spellings of both surname and Christian names....I'm finding three people who are close fits dependent on spelling...could I ask if you are absolutely certain that the man in the IOW census is your Grandfather?

Hi. Thanks for your help. Yes, the 1911 IoW census is certainly my grandfather, together with my grandmother and uncle (Challis Crescens Charles Stuchfield, himself subsequently an L-Bmdr kia Malaya 1942). They were lodging with an RGA colleague Elizah Sadler according to the census return.  Both Crescens & Charles are common names in the relatively-rare Stuchfield family (aka Stuckfield, aka Stutchfield).  My g/father was born in Northants in 1877, but married in Brighton in 1905. Part of the interest is because we have a probable DNA link to Jamaica and it would be satisfying to pin it down.  Best Wishes, David.

7 hours ago, kevinrowlinson said:

Hi ?,

Your grandfathers number indicates someone who enlisted as a Special Reservist on a 1 year term (later changed to duration of war) open to time expired ex gunners. This would have been at the end of Nov. 1915, to arrive at No. 1 Depot, Fort Burgoyne, Dover, at the beginning of Dec. 1915. As the earlier regular terms would have been for 12 years, to include time actually serving and time in reserve, he must enlisted before Aug. 1902. It is quite possible he served in Jamaica while serving in 66 Coy (Company) in 1909 if he was posted there.

Unfortunately I cannot find anything specific for either his earlier service, or for the great war. Other suggestions for finding a unit may be to consult any birth or marriage certificates for the period and hope something is mentioned, which admittedly is rather slim, checking the absent voters list for where he was living near the end of the war, or searching through the local newspapers for his home town. I would also check whether anyone else in the family may hold photos/correspondence from that time which may give you some further clues.

Kevin

Hi Kevin.  Thanks for your suggestions, which I'll investigate in due course.  My g/father was born in 1877, so it's quite feasible he joined before 1902 - do you know how I could find this out ?  Best Wishes, David