Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First Bristol Scout?

George Rayner

This photo was found by a friend in his family archive (pile) to photos.

His information is that it is the first Bristol Scout from the workshops in 1916(?). On the rear of the photograph it says 'Made in PV'

The family member lived in Ipswich, appears with a navy uniform in other photos and worked for Ransomes of Ipswich after discharge so may have nothing to do with the photo.

Does any knowledgeable member have any ideas about this photo? Where, When, what PV means.

Thanking you all in advance. If I can pin the man down I will post his details here.

0?ui=2&ik=6a305b2184&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1685530470516837330&th=176435085940cbd2&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ82hciGh-jMpg0lAN9mpcJQchV1HHrwejMzh6Md0Ek_R8Gl9slQiKrcIRPz0C_7FIFdYHvEB1BAJ89cQbiGUt6p7iFcjWdMZEvhIwnWLmDGoKluFRCcZATHKUU&disp=emb&realattid=176434f5836b15380201

George

Could it be the RNAS Marine Experimental Aircraft Depot, Port Victoria?  Someone will know.

The photo link is broken, by the way.

Edited by IPT

Thanks IPT...and humbug to the link. Will try again

George

image.png.d5876453a66f5e8fbab615ff5b14fd2b.png

I don't think that is a Bristol Scout, it is a Bristol TB8 54 of which were manufactured by the British & Colonial Aeroplane Company at Filton near Bristol for the RNAS from an earlier monoplane design.  1216 was, however the the first of a batch of 12 built as biplanes  Here it is at Eastchurch in 1915 and built in 1914 not 1916 I think.

Tony

TB8.jpg

Edited by MerchantOldSalt

Great information Tony-thank you,

As with different soldiers having the same number is it possible that aeroplanes did too? 

Are there design individualities which identify this as a Bristol TB8 and not a Scout?

I ask from a position of ignorance not disagreement!!

George

George,

This is a Bristol Scout, smaller than the TB8 which was a bomber.  One set of wing struts each side as opposed to two, single seat, the TB8 was two seat, it is very unlikely two planes would have the same serial number certainly not in the RNAS I think. Sturtivant has quite a bit of information on 1216's service if you are interested but it appears the plane never left Britain.

Tony

DSC_0158.jpg.0e263b82c9977804eca4dd05b97b71ec.jpg

Edited by MerchantOldSalt

Thank you. Very helpful indeed. 

Is the 'Made in PV' written on the back likely to be Port Victoria-I have no idea where that is!- as IPT suggested or might it mean something else?

How do I access Sturtivant please?

George

I am sure IPT is correct.  Port Victoria was part of a RNAS base on the Isle of Grain, Thames Estuary, initially the RN Aeroplane Repair Depot in 1915 it became the Experimental Depot later on.  Sturtivant confirms that 1216 was at IOG being repaired and tested during April and May 1915, I missed his entry which says 1216 was with 1 Squadron RNAS from February to March 1915 at St Pol near Calais, so the plane did serve in France briefly.  I will PM you the relevant pages from Sturtivant with the remainder of the aircraft's service.

Tony

11 hours ago, MerchantOldSalt said:

One set of wing struts each side as opposed to two, single seat, the TB8 was two seat, it is very unlikely two planes would have the same serial number certainly not in the RNAS I think.

If you look closely at the undercarriage in the OP's photo, you can also see the double set of wheels visible in the side view of the TB8 posted by MerchantOldSalt between the men sitting by the cowling.